YBR stalled

kristianybr
This post is 3644 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I was out riding my ybr the other day and in all of the sudden it stalled, but not like the engine was broken. The engine had ran dry on oil, and it ws a bit hot. When I came home (by car..) I filled oil and made sure it was cold enough to try and start it, but i wouldn't.

- it has fuel

- new oil

- spark plug works fine

- cylinder goes up and down, with a draft

- fuel flows thru the carburetor

- air filter is clean and almost new

What else does it need? I even tried to fill starter gas straight into the engine and it still wouldn't ignite.

Any suggestions?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:eusa_shifty::eusa_snooty::crazy::biglaugha::eusa_doh::idea: I know the motor is ducked you ran it out of oil and think it will be OK just because you now put more in NOT YOU KILLED IT

Biker maths: Running engine, minus oil equals fucked bike.

Sorry.

If you really did run the oil dry, you *will* have damaged something inside, be it con-rods, pistons, crank, bearings, cylinder bore, etc etc. Metal parts are NOT meant to bash into each other several thousands of times per minute. That is what the oil guards against.

Fixing any one of these parts (aside from bearings) will be fucking expensive.

Cheaper to buy a new bike.

This time, don't fuck it up.

Also -

1/. This is a workshop question and belongs in the Workshop section of the forum.

2/. It's polite to post an Intro in the relevant section before jumping in with technical queries and the like.

3/. Next time, read the manual. That's what it's for!!

Biker maths: Running engine, minus oil equals fucked bike.

Sorry.

If you really did run the oil dry, you *will* have damaged something inside, be it con-rods, pistons, crank, bearings, cylinder bore, etc etc. Metal parts are NOT meant to bash into each other several thousands of times per minute. That is what the oil guards against.

Fixing any one of these parts (aside from bearings) will be fucking expensive.

Cheaper to buy a new bike.

This time, don't fuck it up.

Also -

1/. This is a workshop question and belongs in the Workshop section of the forum.

2/. It's polite to post an Intro in the relevant section before jumping in with technical queries and the like.

3/. Next time, read the manual. That's what it's for!!

Hi. Thanks for the answer. I will try to figure out what part is broken..

And! Thanks for the guiding on forum behaviour. I'm quite new to forums and really confused at the time because of the bike.

Generally people will not respond to first forum posts if:

1) They have not posted an Intro,

2) Their first post is requiring (not even asking for) help,

3) They don't even say 'please'!

Not posting an Intro is considered a bit rude. Kinda like walking into a bar where you're a stranger and simply announcing your bike problems, expecting someone to step in and help. You're ignored at best...

It doesn't take much for an Intro - Just a short bit about you, your bike, where you're from (as in town, not just country), age and riding/mechanical experience. Plus, all that will help people find solutions to any problems, y'see - We even have some members who might ride a few miles to help another local member. You never know who is nearby that can help!

As for the bike... are you SURE you ran the oil dry?

If so, this mistake is VERY expensive - A new crank shaft alone will be around £600. That's NOK 5,480!!

You may need more than one of those parts, so you could be looking at around £1,800 (NOK 16,450).

It will also mean an engine rebuild, which is a serious 'smerte i ræva'!!!

You can pick up an entire second hand engine for about £300 (NOK 2700), which will be much easier :D

For those who don't speak Norwegian, 'Smerte i ræva' means 'pain in the ass'... apparently!! :D

yeah, i would go with the new engine option, and use the experience to learn a lesson!

Generally people will not respond to first forum posts if:

1) They have not posted an Intro,

2) Their first post is requiring (not even asking for) help,

3) They don't even say 'please'!

Not posting an Intro is considered a bit rude. Kinda like walking into a bar where you're a stranger and simply announcing your bike problems, expecting someone to step in and help. You're ignored at best...

It doesn't take much for an Intro - Just a short bit about you, your bike, where you're from (as in town, not just country), age and riding/mechanical experience. Plus, all that will help people find solutions to any problems, y'see - We even have some members who might ride a few miles to help another local member. You never know who is nearby that can help!

As for the bike... are you SURE you ran the oil dry?

If so, this mistake is VERY expensive - A new crank shaft alone will be around £600. That's NOK 5,480!!

You may need more than one of those parts, so you could be looking at around £1,800 (NOK 16,450).

It will also mean an engine rebuild, which is a serious 'smerte i ræva'!!!

You can pick up an entire second hand engine for about £300 (NOK 2700), which will be much easier :D

For those who don't speak Norwegian, 'Smerte i ræva' means 'pain in the ass'... apparently!! :D

Thanks for such fast answers! :D

I understand, I'll make sure I do all of that in my next post :)

I'm not completely sure if it ran dry. It looked dry and felt dry, but I could only fill 0,75l of oil (it is supposed to take 1l).

where have you found the prices on second hand parts? I've checked out ebay.com but the shipping is not specified, so I'm abit afraid to buy anothing considering the postal fees.

And yes, "smerte i ræva" means "pain in the ass" even tough we don't use it that much in Norwegian. We don't really have anything similar either, unfortunately :P

surly if you could only get 0.75l in then there should have been 0.25l still in there ? as when I did my oil it dose take a full 1L, or am I missing some thing here lol

What were the symptoms seconds before it died, :eusa_think: ie. was ther a knocking noise "[ crank] or a gradual slowing, -smoking- excessive heat,, we need more info. was ther a light on dash. i mean how did you know to look for oil, if motor dies most causes are fuel related.or ignition.. :idea:

Running the bike down to the last weee bit (1/4 of a liter) of oil will surely have dammaged something. Only pulling the motor and striping it down will tell you what you have dammaged.

where have you found the prices on second hand parts? I've checked out ebay.com but the shipping is not specified, so I'm abit afraid to buy anothing considering the postal fees.

Oh, that's just the cost of the parts before shipping!!

There aren't that many second hand parts, mainly because breaking for those means their engine is also damaged. Not usually worth buying unless you can inspect them beforehand.

Try ebay.co.uk, or one of the other European variants. ebay.de is probably a good starting place.

Yeh " and if you"ve got fuel- spark. .. whats missing is compression,,,, :eusa_doh:

What were the symptoms seconds before it died, :eusa_think: ie. was ther a knocking noise "[ crank] or a gradual slowing, -smoking- excessive heat,, we need more info. was ther a light on dash. i mean how did you know to look for oil, if motor dies most causes are fuel related.or ignition.. :idea:

I didn't really feel any symptoms before it died, no noise, felt no loss in power, couldn't see any smoke or anything. I was driving about 90km/h (50-ish mph) and suddenly it stopped igniting. Unfortunately the dash doesn't even have an engine lamp :/ When I pulled over the engine may have been a bit hotter than usual, but i normally don't stop and check out how hot it is, so I can't tell for sure :/

What made me check the oil was mostly to have something to do while waiting for my dad to pick me up.

Um :eusa_think: you need oil in the motor to see smoke.

do a compression test I bet you got about 0 just cause it goes up and down dosen't mean anything.

the 4 rules of a 4 stroke ....suck fuel, squezze fuel, bang fuel, blow burnt fuel,bet your misssing the squeze part

ie as Blackhat said no compression

• 9 months later...

Ok, so!
sorry I never came back, but I couldn't find back to the thread!

All the answers you gave helped me out a bit.

After disassembly of the engine I found the problem immediately: The piston had scraped up the whole cylinder.
What I had to do was simply to buy a new piston and cylinder and drive it in (China cylinder for ca. 80£!).
The bike runs quite well now, so thanks for all the answers! :D

Btw. I've been much better at checking oil level before any long trip and at least twice a month :)

So thanks for all the answers! :D

Check the oil weekly,, even after short runs,,, as its burning oil, new piston will not stop this,, unless you rebored it ,