dt 125 re a couple of niggles any ideas unsafe

rjw99
This post is 3904 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Strange thing was happening today, when I came to a stop I would put the clutch on and change down to 1st, but the bike kept trying to move forward even though I had the clutch pressed down?

Also as I changed down gears it would rev really high even though I was not applying the throttle?

And finally the gear change is becoming increasingly difficult, especially around first and neutral. So much so that when parking up I have to get off the bike and use my hand to put it into neutral. Could these problems be linked at all?

Thanks for any ideas

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Did this just start today?

Have you adjusted the clutch and throttle cables?

Have you lubricated them lately?

I'm wondering if the heat has affected them...

Gearbox - Again, is this a very recent development?

When did you last change the oil?

What weight oil do you have in there?

How much oil do you have in there?

When did you last grease up the change lever?

Hi, yes the high revving just started today, and the gears do tend to stick more when hot for some reason.

Havent adjusted anything or lubricated anything (only sprayed a bit of lube on the cahain) as I am unfamiliar with bikes.

I recently put some asda motorcycle oil in so its pretty full.

Havent done any of the latter things you mention, is that what ypu wpuld recommend?

Thanks alot for the reply :-)

Strange thing was happening today, when I came to a stop I would put the clutch on and change down to 1st, but the bike kept trying to move forward even though I had the clutch pressed down?

Also as I changed down gears it would rev really high even though I was not applying the throttle?

And finally the gear change is becoming increasingly difficult, especially around first and neutral. So much so that when parking up I have to get off the bike and use my hand to put it into neutral. Could these problems be linked at all?

Thanks for any ideas

Hi, yes the high revving just started today, and the gears do tend to stick more when hot for some reason.

Havent adjusted anything or lubricated anything (only sprayed a bit of lube on the cahain) as I am unfamiliar with bikes.

I recently put some asda motorcycle oil in so its pretty full.

Havent done any of the latter things you mention, is that what ypu wpuld recommend?

Thanks alot for the reply :-)

you dont fill it until it's pretty full, you fill it to the correct level, havent you got a manual or owners book to refer to?

Over filling could be the cause of the issues you are having!

Really? I didnt know :-/ will have to just wait till it runs down then.

Found this:

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-155491.html

Seems to be similar to my problem, this guy tried everuthing to sort it :-/

Ive no money to spend so guess ill just have to live with it.

Still dont know why it wont flick into neutral tho :-/

Thanks again

Since, like many members, you have not filled out your profile completely... Whereabouts in the UK are you?

Might be a member here can nip round and sort this oil level out...

Failing that, I'll see about writing something up for you tomorrow - It's too hot tonight!!

Cheers if ive overfilled it can I just cyphen it out?

And thanks T that would be appreciated, agree its like an oven! Another night of lying in a pool of sweat lol

And Dewsbury, West Yorkshire

Drop the oil, [drain plug] then measure it in a jug, :spin2: , The neutral thing is because your clutch is dragging. adjust at lever,

you can just take out the drain screw, drain it into a clean container and refit the screw when the level has dropped no need to fully drain it. Use the oil in the container to add some if you overdo the draining.

isnt there a 'window in the case for the oil level? if there is the oil should be half way in the window with the bike upright.

As above

Correct oil level will solve all your probs,,,,, even the reving when changing gears,,,,,provided your throttle cable isn't stuck or something

asda motorcycle oil

You'll need to know more than that.

Is it 2-stroke or 4-stroke (usually says 2T or 4T on the bottle).

Also, what kind of oil, as in there'll be a number like 10-W-40, 10-W-50 or 15-W-40 on the bottle.

For future reference, when you come to change the oil, I understand 10-W-50 is a good one for the DT125.

Other owners will probably explain further/better than me.

Possibly.

Let's sort the oil side out first. Then we'll look at the other things.

Short version - Read all the way before attempting:

You will need - Socket set and ratchets, or a set of long spanners. A wide and deep pan, old oven tray or some other open-topped 5 litre container. Rubber gloves. A funnel, normal or improvised (like the top half of a 500ml plastic Coke bottle). A friend who will not drop your bike.

Run bike for 5-8 minutes in neutral.

Stop bike and take key out.

Get bike on level ground.

Have someone hold bike upright, unless you have a bike jack.

Place pan under bike engine.

Remove oil filler cap.

Loosen off the sump plug (drain screw), but pay attention to how tight this is. You'll later do it up to the same tightness.

You *might* want to wear rubber gloves for this next bit... If nothing else, grab a free pair of those plasticky things from a petrol pump.

Slowly remove sump plug and drain some oil, as described by Airhead above.

Be careful, the oil will be very warm at least, if not actually HOT!!

The oil will flow out very quickly. Don't drop the screw into the pan either, as it will be slippery.

Let some oil out.

Put plug back in just enough to stop the flow, then check level (see below) in the sight window, which is probably on the left side.

If it's too low, put some back in. Use a funnel to avoid spillage.

Repeat until you're sorted.

Put the sump plug back in and tighten up nicely, but NOT too much. Just about where it was last time.

Make sure you put the sump plug back in.

Now put the filler cap back on.

Now check you have put both the filler cap and the sump plug back on.

And check again, to make bloody sure.

This is a different bike, but this is what you're looking for, level-wise... There may be only lines, rather than an F and L, or no marks at all, but halfway to three-quarters, with the bike held upright is what you're looking for:

19_sv650_oil_level_full.jpg

, then check level (see below) in the sight window, which is probably on the left side.

Well said Taskey

On the right side, behind foot brake

Well said Taskey

On the right side, behind foot brake

Really??!

Ah shit... well, I can't get everything right... I ain't even seen one of these things in the flesh before!

Is it ASDA motorcycle oil?

Don't use car oil.

Is it ASDA motorcycle oil?

He did already say exactly that. I know it's hot and muggy but try and keep up, old bean! ;)

He did already say exactly that. I know it's hot and muggy but try and keep up, old bean! ;)

Rodger Dodger Tt, it's an age thing.

Rodger Dodger Tt, it's an age thing.

Apparently I'm old too, so that's no excuse... or so they tell me.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online