Xvs650 classic weirdness!

This post is 3298 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey, I wonder if can help? I went for a ride the other day and as I reached around 60 mph my bike seemed to drop power for a split second and then a warning light come on! It stayed on till I stopped, turned engine off then it flashed 4 times then off then 4 flashes again. It almost seems that a high rev makes the light turn on. I changed spark plugs, air fIlter and changed oil and filter to boot! Still seems to happen? Any ideas out there?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You're supposed to take it to a dealer and pay 1 hour of labour for the minute it takes to decode this. However...

"Apparently", there are only two fault codes listed for the XVS 3 blinks for the TPS and 4 blinks for the speed sensor.

Since I don't know of any speed sensor on this bike and because the symptoms sound like it - I'd expect the issue to be the Throttle Position Sensor, or more likely one of the wires from the TPS in need of checking.

There's a few YouTubes that show how to test the TPS.

In case you don't know, it's Part 45 in the Carb schematic here:

http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xvs650apapc-2002_model11085/partslist/B-02.html#results

It's always the expensive bit and never the cheap bit that fu**s up isn't it!!!!! :shakeno:

Did you test the TPS and the wiring around it first?

Did the dealer also check the flash code, or was that what the £80 was for?

If you need a new one, check eBay. Like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/00-2000-YAMAHA-XVS650-XVS-650-V-STAR-THROTTLE-SENSOR-36-/330940168216?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0d923818

Chances are Yammie used the same one on other bikes. The V-Max uses some of the same components as the Drags, for example.

Part numbers may help, too.

i've never done this so have no idea if it works

but

if you remove the battery for an hour this will "reset" the system

when you refit the battery evrything will be back to normal

as said i've never done this but have heard it works

suppose theres nothing to lose

So I unplugged the battery for around 40 mins yesterday just to see and rode to work today, I must say it seems to have improved! No light came on and it didn't seem to struggle, quite amazing how much power was lost. She seems a lot happier now. Thanks for you help guys!

fingers crossed the problem doesnt come back! Nothing worse than intermittent faults. Youll be watching out for it for ages long after its fixed

So it was just a case of "have you turned it off and on again?" :biglaugha:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hey, sorry to bring this thread up again , but did this issue ever happen for you again ?

Same thing is happening to me since the speedo cable broke and its been replaced

I tried disconnecting the loom from the battery overnight, it didnt help :/

This post is 3298 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.