R1 Surge

highlanderSD
This post is 3933 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi my name is chris i got a 2000 R1. recently it has developed a decent surge between 3-4000 rpms. i have replaced the spark plugs. the fuel filter is y next objective to replace. air filter might be dirty its been bout 2 seasons since i changed it. if any one has any thoughts bout the surge. it would be sweet for some input. thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Havent the faintest mate. To many valves and too many cc's for me.

Put you in the right place though. Workshop type questions want to be in the workshop.

Hope you sort it.

Hmm... have heard of surges more commonly between either 2-3000rpm (normal) or the 4-5000 range (modded bikes), but I'm mostly familiar with just one particular R1.

OK, here's just some ideas to be thinking about....

Do you use iridium plugs? If not, they're about £30 for a set of 4 and a good thing to get anyway. People also advise against gapping them out the box.

I'd personally start with the "carb thing" - Clean & balance carbs, check everything out, especially the emulsion tubes. Failing that, start with checking everything in the chain from fuel tank to inlet valves. Anything that can be cleaned/adjusted and doesn't cost money.

Oh, and might as well check the valve clearances & timing while you're there.

Check also the TPS. I know there was a recall on R1 TPSes, but not sure if model dependant or not. Ask a local Yammie dealer... If so, free replacement!

There's a rumour that your VIN plate will have some kind of obvious scratch mark if the TPS has been checked against recall.

Do you have one of them Power Commander things, too?

Custom exhausts and/or air filter?

i bought it 7 yrs ago it came with MIG high mount exhuast, not sure as to what jets are in the carbs . no i did not get iridum plugs, just stock replacment NGKs. left them gaped they way they came, just made sure they werent smashed flat. no special air filter, still has factory air box.

i have noticed that the surge is starting to come on around 2800 rpms and going away around 4100-4300 rpms.

Phone yer local Yammie place. They should be able to check your TPS with just the VIN.

If that doesn't help, start with the 'Carb Thing', as mentioned above.

No Power Commander I assume, either?

Is this surging a recent development?

yes the surge is recent it started bought a mounth ago. have only road it bought 5 times since. i put new plugs in bout a week afetr it started. visually looked at the fuel filtwer while had the tank off. no power comander that i see either. have to be hide prty good if there is one. i have had all the plastic off. no mark/or scratch on vin plate either. im callin the dealer tomro.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online