YBR electric starter switch problem

jackm20010
This post is 3908 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hiya, wonder if anyone can help, I have just got a 2009 YBR 125, however the electric start button is not working, when the key is on, all the lights works and it does its ignition check, but when I push the starter it does nothing at all, I receive no noise from anywhere on the bike. When the key is on the on position I am able to kick start it and it starts first time with no problems. Just want the electric start to work.

Thanks for the help in advance Jack

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Make sure you do this safely and are competent.

Have you checked the fuses for the electric start?

Take a jump lead and connect this to the +ve of the battery. Touch this against the +ve terminal of the starter motor. does the motor spin? If it does then it is the wiring or relay.

The next things to check are the relay, the earths and the cables. Follow the power lead back to the relay. Clean all of the connections on the relay. Clean the connectors in the push button itself.

I took it to my local yamaha dealer and they basically didn't want to advise anything and wanted it to be booked in for their inspection just so they made the money.

Currently I do not own the haynes manual or a form of service manual, that's one of my spends.

I'm thinking of replacing the relay aswell just don't want to buy it if it could not fix the problem

Have you priced up a relay yet? Also Haynes manual is a bit of a must have really.

It will tell you in there how to test the starter relay and give you a wiring diagram so you know where to check.

Not too expensive then, I'd get one, and even if it's not that you have a spare just in case.

Always nice to have a few bits lying around if you need one

Best way to rule out the starter motor is to take it off and link power to it directly from the battery, see if it turns.

If not you'll need to check things such as kill switch, and stand switch etc.

I had a starting problem with my bike, turned out the contacts in the kill switch were dirty, cleaned them up, job done

To the starter relay I have 2 ports for the positive and negative to the battery, then the space for the 15amp fuse, which then has another connection for cables like a plug type, believe one is blue, other blue/white strips, and other being brown.

I do have a multimeter at work and that's my job tomorrow when on lunch.

I don't think it will be the motor though as the relay would indicate some form of clicking or hesitation won't it ?

Bike doesn't have a kill switch either so can't do that, however I did take the starter switch apart and cleaned up in their

You don't have to remove the starter to see if it works,just take a jumper cable and feed the pos to the starter 12v.

Next do you have 12 v at the button,and when pressed is there 12 v comming out to the solenoid.

why dosent your bike have the kill switch installed if the circut is not wired then that will stop the current from getting to the starter,when the kill switch is in the off position the circut is open so I think thats the problem.

On the newer models of the ybr they don't have a kill switch, not sure why but its not their I do have the side stand switch but that's fine, tbh don't think it can be that because it kicks over fine.

Anyway I placed the multimeter on it today, voltage is good and the battery is holding and is not week, however when running to see the volts off the battery the electric start didn't pulse at all, so I am now thinking loose connection or faulty starter switch as the voltage would drop.

It was sitting at 12.08 volts off and pressing the electric done nothing to that digit, it should at least drop to about 11.30 ?

Just wanted to say that my previous post was wrong,ignore it please(I'm getting senile).

Think you said you had 4/5 wires to the starter relay.

one will be to ignition switch, from main fuse (red)

one will be from starter switch,12v volts, (battery voltage) when ignition is on and starter pressed.(blue/white)

one will be same but via clutch switch,same as above,but if it wasn't in neutral/clutch in etc.(blue/white)

That should leave one direct from battery, 12 v thicker wire (red)

Last a similar thickness black lead to starter, goes to starter,only live if relay works.

If everything checks out, other than blue/white wires, starter switch should have 12v at brown wire with ignition on, 12v blue/white when pressed.

Pete

Yeah that sounds about right, I have the 2 thick cable black and red that go from the battery into the starter.

Then just under the fuse is the connection ports where it has all the other cables, in the connection box however I have 4 ports, however only have 3 cables going into but have done some research and I only need them 3 don't need the last one.

Jack

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online