Too Hot For Comfort

iandouglas
This post is 3913 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yep, its bloody great,,,,,,, 29 deg here today at 2pm. I never remember anywhere nere these temps in Ireland.

I wish it could last all summer long.

How do riders in say California - Florida cope then ,,,? :shrug: If were not used to heat, what do they wear, ? sasha ?

How do riders in say California - Florida cope then ,,,? :shrug: If were not used to heat, what do they wear, ? sasha ?

"Yeah man, but it's a dry heat!!"

Sorry, Aliens quote. I do that a lot.

But yeah, UK weather is very humid and muggy compared to most places.

I'm thinking of doing a kind of 24 hr ride down to Cornwall on Wednesday

Stop thinking and start preparing, I say!!

It'll be great fun and you can take all the breaks you need. Nothing better than riding at your own pace!!

this stuff http://classicmotorcycles.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=classicmotorcycles&cdn=autos&tm=121&gps=17_26_1093_548&f=00&su=p284.13.342.ip_&tt=29&bt=5&bts=&zu=http%3A//www.motodracing.com/motorcycle_undersuit.html hleps we have been in the 30's and add the humidex it's around 45c.

Other gear like fully mesh jackets are nice for these days.Just don't stop any water.

And task is right the DRY HEAT is no where as bad calli and texas just dont feel as hot same with west Canada Ontario surrounde by lakes every where get the humidity bad.

With the good weather....................and it seems to be a little cooler now,

I'm thinking of doing a kind of 24 hr ride down to Cornwall on Wednesday

at work tomorrow (Tues) and then again Thurs so it gives me a complete day

Maybe set of 3.00 am, don't know, Wed morning and come back, 10 -11 pm

I'm the Aylesbury side of Oxford, Oxford being 15 miles or so to the south west

I'd aim for St.Ives /Penzance, about 300 miles there, maybe too ambitious?

Polperro might be a better target at 250 miles there, 500 in a day should be OK

The only thing that makes me hesitate is my poor bum, all my life I've worked in offices

I think it has effected the blood supply there as I tend to end up with 'numb bum'

just a case of taking breaks really.

Sounds like a great idea Ian - just do it! I managed a 400 mile jaunt on my little YBR, in October, darkness and the peeing rain. But I loved every minute. So go for it!!

I want to do something similar on the Tiger, but work is manic at the moment. :-(

As for this weather, it's great, makes a change from all the crap. The main downside for me are all the arrogant summer riders who just blank your friendly acknowledgment.

biker-girl-6.jpg

Please sacha... please dont disappoint :razz:

This weather's great. It's the first time I've had the linings out of my gear for two years.

As for 'It's a dry heat.' So's fire but you'd worry if your arse was in flames :P

Re;

The main downside for me are all the arrogant summer riders who just blank your friendly acknowledgment.

I think it's because they are so intent on 'progressing' along given some good weather, you waved, that's fine, if they are too ignorant well blow them - I just flash the headlight now, it's easier although it no doubt sets the car driver in front in a panic hehe :spin2:

incidentally, 400 miles is pretty good for a day, my maximum to date is 366 miles on a trip to Aberystwth, turned round after a meal in a seafront cafe, bought a few souveniers and came back.(they have a weird one way system there)

should be OK provided nothing silly happens like a puncture or me riding into a hedge :eusa_doh:

I have a HG Textile jacket, with the liner out and the vents open its not too bad, but can't believe the number of riders in shorts etc. I work opposite a MOT garage and literally two minutes ago someone has just arrived on a sports bike weathering shorts, vest, trainers & helmet.

those hot days I use this and this and I can say is better than a motorcycle jacket + more protection and i`m visible from 100 miles :)) both are motocross items. probably other bikers will say "WTH is this christmas tree riding a cruiser?!" but I really don`t care, I feel good this is all what I need.

Ok for impact but its always the slide that bothers me more. I wouldnt trade my textile for it.

I have broken bones and had gravel rash as a teen. The gravel hurts more in the hospital. Esp the " sympathy " they show cleaning it........still makes me cringe.

gravel rash - horrible wounds those

The great Cornish trip is due to start today, booked a b&b in Bude, quite pleased as I've got a double room for the price of a single and able to look out on my bike parked outside

That should give me a good kick off point for Wednesday. I'd like to make Penzance if I can, intend using A roads rather than motorways going a ''crows fly' path as far as possible

Ok for impact but its always the slide that bothers me more. I wouldnt trade my textile for it.

TBH, that's the reason I'm still sweating my fucking knackers off in thick leather...

Bude to Penzance will be a good run. From Bude you could cross over the moore which is cracking on a clear day you can see coast to coast in places. As well as not being able to see your hand on a bad one.......

There are no motorways in Cornwall there are 2 main drags only really the A38 thats a bit dull but if your heading for Bude you will miss it anyhow.

Bude is great. Going down there in a couple of weeks and im counting the days.

You have inspired me Ian - I'm planning in escaping on a jaunt down to Cornwall on Friday. Hoping to camp near Perranporth.

Will give me a good excuse to ride the bike, especially now the handlebar has been adjusted (was too far away for my short arms) In addition to that, the engine has now been fully run-in!