1100 dragstar no spark!

Dickwad
This post is 3937 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

This is the second time my dragstar has done this, cranks over fine but no spark, :madflame: I checked everything, and I mean, "EVERYTHING"...... except the ignition switch, :eusa_whistle: I assumed because it was cranking over then the switch had to be OK. :eusa_doh: I was talking to a guy who has the same bike the other night at a bike meet, he said that he had the same trouble, but if he turned the key back ever so slightly while cranking it over it would start. So next day I took the switch apart and sure enough the wiper had been dragging plastic on to the copper contact and plastic is not a good conductor, so, cleaned the tracks up with 2000 wet and dry and no more bad starting, :hyper: and I guess this could apply to any make or model with a similar problem. Oh and another tip I picked up, when it was sparking, the spark was very faint and white, this I was advised will more than likely be the spark plug caps, inside they have small resistors in the form of a small metal rod about 10mm long with a spring, I checked these and they were pretty corroded, so replaced the caps with new ones and now its got a strong yellow spark and fires up instantly. DEEP JOY.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

possible Pinned post?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online