my insurenace has become stupidly expensive?

Matthew Duncan
This post is 3913 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

short storey - when i was 16 i insured my 50cc scoot scoot for £183 fully comp, and it was valued at £350

since then, i moved onto a 125, then a 600, and now have a SV650S.

Well times are getting tough, and i was planning getting a wee 50cc just for kicking back and forth between work and home. Found one online for £280 got an insurance quote and it was £210?! i dont understand why its so high! my XJ600N was fully comp insured with a value of £800 and it was only £240 to insure.

someone shed a light on how they guage risk?

as im only 19 im being humped left right and centre. do my 4 years ( as of aug) ncb and continious riding not count for jack shit?

im having to sell my car this year as my insurnce for that has somehow got more awswell, and when i mean more its £1900 with a tracker in the car.

i can honeslty say im not surprised so many young people run around with no insurnce.

rant over...

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Area you live in, age, security, type of machine, etc. They all affect the premium.

Could be 'Ped scrotes have been up to shit lately, which earmarks your 50 as a troublemaker's ride.

Chances are they see a 19 year old as an easy mark and probably expecting a high price to begin with.

Mess around on the comparison sites, get the lowest you can find and use that to play companies off against each other.

Insurance is all about algorithms. Maturity, burn rate and risk. It doesn't make any real odds what your bike is worth. It is the amount of damage that you can do to other people. Hit a £250 grand car and cause permanent disability to its passengers and it will take a lot of £210 insurance premiums to get the money back. And you might not even re insure with that company ever again.

No win no fee personal claims and insurance fraud are costing all of us a fortune, that is on top of genuine risk.

That's the way it is.

Sorry Matthew have to agree with the above, it's about risk and nothing else they don't care what you want it's what they can get that matters, comparison websites are the way to go and then phone and ask as well makes a lot of difference believe it or not also phone those companies that AREN'T on comparison websites as well and check them out, best advice I'm afraid!!!

Just adding to the above.......

The theft rate on scooters is horrendous, far far higher than any other style of bike. If you go third party only, it doesn't stop someone stealing it and writing off a 250 grand car or hitting a pedestrian and the insurer will be liable for this payout. Its getting to the stage where they are more expensive to insure than a 600cc.

In the words of Run DMC..."its like that, and thats the way it is" unfortunately.

im having to sell my car this year as my insurnce for that has somehow got more awswell, and when i mean more its £1900 with a tracker in the car.

i can honeslty say im not surprised so many young people run around with no insurnce.

rant over...

Feel for you there mate, best car quote i ever got in my own name was like £2300- i sure as fuck don't have two and a half grand too spend on insurance. Luckily for me my folks let me go on theirs (tut tut, yeah i know) but that was still like £1600. After two years a said fuck that and got a bike!

Certainly has a lot to do with people not bothering to insure the car, or using a car that is only insured for older people. Most of them look at 2500 insurance compared to maybe 500 in court costs if caught (assuming they don't do anything else like hit someone or something) .... i can kind of see why some might feel that its worth the risk. Personally i know how much hard work i put into getting my car and bike license to bother with that bollocks.

Age, they think that people under the age of about 25 are incapable of moving a car without killing everyone withing 4 miles :eusa_whistle:

At those rates you would probably believe me if i said it was to insure an evo 8.....but no, this was for a 1.4 corsa :eusa_snooty:

Age, they think that people under the age of about 25 are incapable of moving a car without killing everyone withing 4 miles :eusa_whistle:

At those rates you would probably believe me if i said it was to ensure an evo 8.....but no, this was for a 1.4 corsa :eusa_snooty:

Well at 19 i have had my car since Aug and aint managed to kill anyone yet!

cheers for the help guys,

i also got a quote for one of that new honda 250's, the trials bike thing? and it was £2400 to insure FC, or £900 souley TP, not even fire and theft.

being 19 sucks!

Unfortunately its the minority that spoils it for others, there are a few young drivers on our area in small cars like Corsa's and 106's that drive like idiots in 30mph zones, there are also a few older ones as well but insurance companies assume they don't drive like that.

being 19 sucks!

You may well think that mate, but look at the positives, real life and the assocciated finance bills sucking every bit of cash off you have not got a grip yet, the ability to jump on your bike and go anywhere you want without the "what about us" phrase getting flung at you every time you get near the bike gear, if you feel like doing an all nighter out on the bike you can, and so on and so on. Dont wish your life away mate

Here I am about 18/19 yrs old and not a care in the world

001_zpsffd3df6e.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality, the only pic I had was on a windows file and it would not transfer to photobucket so I had to take a pic of the screenshot ( theres probably is a better way but I'm not too good with all this 'puter wizardry)

You may well think that mate, but look at the positives, real life and the assocciated finance bills sucking every bit of cash off you have not got a grip yet, the ability to jump on your bike and go anywhere you want without the "what about us" phrase getting flung at you every time you get near the bike gear, if you feel like doing an all nighter out on the bike you can, and so on and so on. Dont wish your life away mate

Here I am about 18/19 yrs old and not a care in the world

Sorry about the poor quality, the only pic I had was on a windows file and it would not transfer to photobucket so I had to take a pic of the screenshot ( theres probably is a better way but I'm not too good with all this 'puter wizardry)

Saying that, i moved 65 miles away from home when i was 17 to gain an apprenticeship, i am well aware of that bills and assocciated finances you are on about, luckily my mum and dad help out where they can but i cant expect them to fork out 2-3k to cover my bikes and car :-(

will be the car thats going! i am not sacrificing 2 wheels for 4!, i mean, i can have 2 bikes to make up for the 4 wheels ;)

• 2 weeks later...

so, just got both my car AND motorbike insurance renewed! 512 for the car, 211 for my Sv650s - happy days! :D

• Like 2

At 46 years old, an Advanced driver with over 26 years motoring experience but a "born again" biker who only recently passed my test, I was quoted £240 to insure my 1990 XJ600 fully comp. Don't feel too hard done by Matthew, they (Insurance brokers) tend to try and screw us all no matter what age. The only silver lining for my cloud is that my premiums should drop fairly quickly as the years go by. Glad you got sorted anyway.

At 46 years old, an Advanced driver with over 26 years motoring experience but a "born again" biker who only recently passed my test, I was quoted £240 to insure my 1990 XJ600 fully comp. Don't feel too hard done by Matthew, they (Insurance brokers) tend to try and screw us all no matter what age. The only silver lining for my cloud is that my premiums should drop fairly quickly as the years go by. Glad you got sorted anyway.

Did you try us? You'd get forum member discount? I can give you a call if you PM your contact number.

Lee

• 2 weeks later...

How about this............. When i got married 2 years ago my wife's insurance went down £62 ?

So there you go boys , reckon you will need a sex change , change your name to Josie and get married ............ Simples !

Someone mentioned high scooter/moped insurance due to thefts .

I got a on-line quote for a 1965 Raleigh Wasp , yes i know ............ Basically a glorified bicycle with a 50cc motor .

It was £65 fully comp, £15 a year cheaper than cheapest quote for my 09 XJ6 ?

Well at 19 i have had my car since Aug and aint managed to kill anyone yet!

cheers for the help guys,

i also got a quote for one of that new honda 250's, the trials bike thing? and it was £2400 to insure FC, or £900 souley TP, not even fire and theft.

being 19 sucks!

I vaguely remember being 19. Pretty sure I rode like a loony...

I vaguely remember being 19. Pretty sure I rode like a loony...

i can remember when i got my crosser at 14 and going loony, the novelty was well worn off by the time i was 16 and got my 50cc

i can remember when i got my crosser at 14 and going loony, the novelty was well worn off by the time i was 16 and got my 50cc

I started off (fairly) sensibly at 16 but seemed to get more stupid as I went along! :eusa_doh:

I'm better now, honest ... :spin2: