Do you wear Ear plugs

Norcot
This post is 3900 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Never thought about that much. My dad works in a place with a lots'o'noise and is instructed to wear them at all times. They're free where he works and he takes loads home to use for his rides out. Might ask him to nick me a freezer bag full :)

NEVER too late.

Having some tinitus is just what those of us with it'll be dealing with from day to day, but... continued exposure to loud noises will make it worse and worse and worse and worse and worse and worse and worse and worse and worse and worse... until you really are completely deaf.

Take action now and save whatever you have left!!

Will look into it then do enjoy my music wouldn't want to miss that or the sound of my bike.

They say that if you step away from a ride, concert or any other loud noise and can hear a quiet, high-pitched "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" sound in the background, that this is a frequency you'll never hear again.

Dunno if it's true, but still kinda worrying.

Not actually true no. The ringing in your ears after a concert goes away after a couple of hours to a couple of days. However repeated exposure leads to permanent hearing loss. Just avoid the mosh pits and you should be fine.

Also, as one ages, one starts to lose the upper frequencies in any case. At the mo I can hear up to about 17-18kHz, which is pretty high.

I've been to concerts where the music was loud, but I was not close to the speaker stacks, and there was little or no distortion thanks to the sound people doing their job, and walked away with no ear-ringing.

Heavy metal concerts are obviously the worst in this regard.

Good timing for this thread! I bought a Shark Raw few weeks back and have noticed it's a bit noisier than I'm used to, I've just ordered some of those from Amazon that twincle mentioned, hopefully it'll work on blocking out the kids too......

• Like 1

i've been using the mid setting plug, but used the extra setting today on a ride to the coast with the wife but found her comms were too quiet most times so reverted to the mids. I've no doubt the wind would of wrecked me today. she doesn't wear plugs and complained of wind noise today too.

this week end I've been something like 300 miles...

wow! what a difference. definitely a fan now :spin2:

Glad that this thread has helped :) it was something I had never thought of trying until I read about it, long rides are much more comfortable, I find it relaxes me. It's one of those things that you will love or hate.

+1 for the accoustic earplugs!!!!

I bought these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000VO8PR0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and used them yesterday and very impressed.

Do they fit under your helmet ok? Do the bits that stick out not get caught against the helmet when you try to put it on? I may give a pair a go.

Glad that this thread has helped :) it was something I had never thought of trying until I read about it, long rides are much more comfortable, I find it relaxes me. It's one of those things that you will love or hate.

Do they fit under your helmet ok? Do the bits that stick out not get caught against the helmet when you try to put it on? I may give a pair a go.

I test yesterday this earplugs, the most protective in the patch, gold one. I can say is ok, but I have serious problems with my balance on low speed, anyone else have this problem? lol

@Narcot you can adjust the earplugs, no complain about how is builded , you can cut if is to long, you have 3 levels of protection, white, low protection to gold, high protection.

Its made me appreciate that the wind was seriously getting to my ears :)

no they dont get in the way at all but if they do, they show you how to trim a bit off, made my ride out this morning a lot more bearable on the motorways :thumb:

I test yesterday this earplugs, the most protective in the patch, gold one. I can say is ok, but I have serious problems with my balance on low speed, anyone else have this problem? lol

@Narcot you can adjust the earplugs, no complain about how is builded , you can cut if is to long, you have 3 levels of protection, white, low protection to gold, high protection.

I dont have any problems at all other than car drivers :eusa_shifty:

On every trip that isn't just surface streets, yes I do. I've got just a pair of construction ones that knock out most of the highs and lows but keep the mid range sounds pretty clear. So at speed, I can't hear my exhaust note, but I can hear the top end of the engine spinning, which is wierd. I can still hear people speaking when I'm stopped, but the wind noise (the real culprit here) is cut down pretty much to just a dull hum at highway speed.

I think I need to get a better fitting pair though, any ride over an hour and a half, and they start making my ear/jaw ache.

I only wear ear plugs when the wife's talking to me when I'm trying to listen to the 6'o'clock news.

When she is listening to her soaps I'm not even allowed to open my mouth!!

Cheers lallasro, it's like when I'm trying to concentrate on something important on the news she's giving me verbal GBH of the ear.

But, as I said when Corrie/Eastenders is on I'm not even allowed sniff, cough, or even breath.

But I still love her even after thirty eight years of knowing her. (36 years of married bliss)

i wear Shure earbuds so i can listen to music while i ride. music clarity is excellent and the noise cancellation blocks out a lot of wind and road noise. earplugs are almost mandatory for us if you're going to be spending hours on the road going 80mph.

prod_img_se215_alt2.jpg

I don't wear earplugs normally, but I think I may start after reading some of the replies in this thread.

Good timing for this thread! I bought a Shark Raw few weeks back and have noticed it's a bit noisier than I'm used to, I've just ordered some of those from Amazon that twincle mentioned, hopefully it'll work on blocking out the kids too......

I've got a Shark Raw too and I agree, it is noiser than the average helmet.

Looks damn cool though...

+1 for the accoustic earplugs!!!!

I bought these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000VO8PR0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and used them yesterday and very impressed.

On your recommendation I just bought a set of these, should arrive in the post tomorrow so will try them out and let you all know how I get on. Im currently just using bog standard industrail ear plugs that I get from work, they work well but I wouldnt mind hearing a little more when riding about town.

I actually started wearing ear plugs after I was laying in bed hearing a slight whine, tried ear plugs for a couple of weeks and it went away. Wont ride motorway journeys without them now.

• Like 1