Do you wear Ear plugs

Norcot
This post is 3900 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

For my first 3 years of riding I never wore ear plugs, didn't like cutting out noise of traffic as I liked to have all my senses working.

I then read a study in one of the Bike mags about damage to hearing, some study showed that the vibrations caused from the wind over your helmet at motorway speeds cause a level of noise that can potentially do permanent damage if you are exposed to it regularly. Worst case is you can end up with tinnitus, a permanent wining in your hearing that cause cause sleep deprivation / depression etc.

Anyhow got me thinking, my ears do whine after my 30minute motorway commute to work, so I tried plugs. Was very strange at first, but now i find it so much more comfortable riding at speed with plugs in. I still occasionally like to ride without them so I can hear the bike and see if she's sounding right.

So.. Do you wear them? Would you be inspired to try them now?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Don't wear them, never have, wear a Caberg anyway so noisy as fuck.

If you're going to invest, get some plugs specifically made with adjustable noise attenuation. I used to use these ones for drumming that cost £60 but were moulded to precisely match my own ears. I wore them in a busy nightclub once - Music was nice and loud still, but I could hear people talking from across the room as if there was no music at all!!

I wear them. I just get the cheap Oxford Moldex ones - but they are a step up from the yellow foam ones you can buy in bulk. Find they go in with ease and don't budge once there.

As Tasky has mentioned - Caberg helmets come with a lot of wind noise, and that's the helmet I have! If I'm on a short, or slow speed trip, then I tend not to bother putting them in.

But I find they are great on the motorway, or on blustery days. Appreciate they aren't for everyone, but if anyone is concerned about their hearing, then it's at least worth a shot methinks.

I wear them on longer trips.

old head banger so I get tinnitus occasionally

My Dad has tinnitus, spent most of his youth riding bikes across Europe, and still rides his 400/four with period straight thru goldstar pipe that can be heard 2 miles away!

So yes I wear f***ing ear plugs.

• Like 1

I don't bother on short trips but always wear them if I'm going to be riding for more than 15 minutes.

at 60+ m/h I can`t hear my engine because of wind. anyway, I use scala raider handsfree so I can`t use any ear plugs if I want hear my phone or gps indications

I don't wear them, only time i use protection (ear protection your dirty gits) is when using my angle grinder and when i drove the Chally tank.

Ive got a open faced lid where the wind noise at 30mph is like riding at 60, but i find pulling my thick neck tube up over my ears and over the top of my sweed helps with buffering the wind.

any way Tinitus will be a grat help for when the wife has one of them nagging sessions.

Never used to wear them, but started doing so now when on the motorway, whether with full or open face helmet. I think they're a godsend. In and around town you obviously need to hear what's going on. But as stated above, the wind noise alone at 70+mph is probably somewhere in the region of 95-105 dB. And that's with a reasonably quiet helmet. Earplugs attenuate about 35 dB, so do the arithmetic. It's sooo much quieter! Also since getting my new laser helmet I'm getting much less wind buffeting, so overall a much more comfortable motorway experience. But yeah, for m/way journeys, earplugs, definitely recommend them now. In fact I would go so far as to say they're a must.

Again, get the professional musician ones with adjustable attenuation. Loud sounds are completely cut out, while quieter sounds like burbling engines are crystal clear!!!

What price your hearing?

I use ear plugs all the time, still can hear scala rider, engine, music and traffic however it cuts the wind noise down loads.

this week end I've been something like 300 miles,

partly on motorway where there was a lot of wind noise at higher speeds

so.........

I remembered this thread and when I got a chance I bought some ear plugs

wow! what a difference. definitely a fan now :spin2:

• Like 2

+1 for the accoustic earplugs!!!!

I bought these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000VO8PR0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and used them yesterday and very impressed.

the wind noise has been cut down/out yet i can hear my music, phone and have a conversation with someone through the helmet. In fact i was sitting on the bike when i heard a 'shhhhhh' and thought wtf is that when i realised it was the tree leaves blowing in the wind yet i couldn't hear the wind - freaked me out for a second

thanks for the recommendation Galaxy-hopping garbage man :thumb:

+1 for the accoustic earplugs!!!!

I bought these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000VO8PR0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and used them yesterday and very impressed.

the wind noise has been cut down/out yet i can hear my music, phone and have a conversation with someone through the helmet. In fact i was sitting on the bike when i heard a 'shhhhhh' and thought wtf is that when i realised it was the tree leaves blowing in the wind yet i couldn't hear the wind - freaked me out for a second

thanks for the recommendation Galaxy-hopping garbage man :thumb:

sound great, I think I will try one.

Well im already in the tinnitus club so too late for me.

NEVER too late.

Having some tinitus is just what those of us with it'll be dealing with from day to day, but... continued exposure to loud noises will make it worse and worse and worse and worse and worse and worse and worse and worse and worse and worse... until you really are completely deaf.

Take action now and save whatever you have left!!