Do you wear Ear plugs

Norcot
This post is 3918 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I wore my new shark speed r today on the motorway and fuck me the wind noise was terrible. I noticed that if I tip my head forward that noise was reduced, its a race spec helmet so I suppose it's designed for a more tucked in position. my old caberg didn't have half the noise. I never wore plugs before but i'm gonna have to start now.

On a different note the speed r is a brilliant helmet for wind vibrations and shake. it was designed for use on naked bikes.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Turns out alpine do attenuating plugs for motorcycles too

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpine-Moto-Safe-Ear-Plugs/dp/B002ZHIBUC

I've compared them with the music ones, exactly the same plugs it looks like. The motosafe yellow ones have same attenuation values as the gold in the musicsafe, and the green same as the silver. The only difference seems that you don't get the white low protection ones.

Anyhow will have to get out on the bike to try them!

Are the silver / medium protection setting good enough for 70mph motorway riding?

Are the silver / medium protection setting good enough for 70mph motorway riding?

Depends how noisy your particular helmet is...

TBF I don't notice a lot of difference between them, except the gold were too much for use with the wife's comms for some reason so happy with white or silver

Also whatever noise i do get I do say to myself 'imagine what damage its doing to your ears without the plugs' so they can only be a good thing :thumb:

Ok so I have given these plugs a shot, first impression on the motorway was that there was still a reasonable amount of wind noise. But then I noticed the wind noise was just as loud as it was going about 30mph as it was 70 :)

So plodding along the center of Bristol I can hear about as much as I could without the plugs, I can still hear my bike purr away, if not clearer than without the ear plugs. Most important though, I could hear the traffic around me, and even enough to talk to another biker still with helmet on.

Makes the motorway much more pleasant but without blocking out all the noise.

I have found one problem though.. Now I can hear the rattles on my bike more clearly than before as the exhaust is turned down a little :D

Thanks for the recommendation of these plugs, definitely worth a shot to anyone out there who finds it too loud at speed but still wants to be able to hear what's going on around them.

I use in-ear wireless earphones with memory foam buds.
No noise whatsoever with the added bonus of some tunes (on low) or answering the phone (all voice activated).
There's a bit in my helmet can hold the little bluetooth adaptor. :eusa_think:

Another option if you're not sure how you'll get on with earplugs

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moldex-6400-Earplugs-Rockets-Plugs/dp/B002ZMVSB6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374670820&sr=8-1&keywords=moldex+rockets

Have been using these for a while now as got fed up with the traditional ones falling out (although the Oxford ones were not bad). Took a couple of goes to get used to but really like them now. Even better, they're cleanable after you've dropped them in gravel again! :spin2:

Another option if you're not sure how you'll get on with earplugs

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moldex-6400-Earplugs-Rockets-Plugs/dp/B002ZMVSB6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374670820&sr=8-1&keywords=moldex+rockets

Have been using these for a while now as got fed up with the traditional ones falling out (although the Oxford ones were not bad). Took a couple of goes to get used to but really like them now. Even better, they're cleanable after you've dropped them in gravel

Oooooo yeaaahhh, are you serious? you put those.... things in your ears? :))

Oooooo yeaaahhh, are you serious? you put those.... things in your ears? :))

Worse things have made their way in than those...

I usually always wear them, and get annoyed when I forget to put them in. I just use the yellow foam ones out of work. I grab a handfull of packets every time I'm on the firing range, so I've always got loads of spares.

I do recommend the attenuating ear plugs now following trying them for last week after a couple of recommendations from people on this thread. Comfortable on the motorway, yet can hear clearly when going slowly through town.

I usually always wear them, and get annoyed when I forget to put them in. I just use the yellow foam ones out of work. I grab a handfull of packets every time I'm on the firing range, so I've always got loads of spares.

I hope not katie version :))