Carying a pillion without pillion insurance cover.

j0hn
This post is 3911 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Would this invalidate my insurance? I've searched online and a lot of people are saying that pillion cover is not compulsory and it will only cover against injury to pillions. Would something like this be subject to insurers policy on whether your insurance is invalidated if you carry a pillion?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

IMO, no. If you're not insured to carry pillions, you may not carry pillions.

It's argued that a pillion is a third party, but if it's your fault the company may not pay out.

Ultimately, it all depends on the exact wording of your policy.

my company say that unless you will never carry a pillion then you must have it, if the police stop you with a pillion and your not covered then your not insured.don't think they would seize the bike but your pillion would have to walk home

When I sorted my insurance for the new bike, pillion cost was minimal, so I got it just in case. I'm literally talking a few quid for me.

Might be worthwhile checking to see how much it'll affect you, and then getting it. I'm not sure of the implications, but I wouldn't risk taking a pillion without.

not law but a built in get out of payng a claim clause. Same as if your bike got stolen the night you stayed at a friends but told the insurance you keep the bike at home on a night.

robdogs and liars.

not law but a built in get out of payng a claim clause. Same as if your bike got stolen the night you stayed at a friends but told the insurance you keep the bike at home on a night.

robdogs and liars.

A garage clause only applies if you are within 500 metres of youe home address. So if you are staying at a friends, as long as they don't live with 500 metres of your garage, you can leave it in the middle of the road with a hi-viz jacket on if you so wish.

WHAT!!! Pillion insurance, never heard of it? I know I'm old but this sounds like another way to make you pay more. If I drive my car (yes I know!!) and I have someone sitting next to me (wife) and we have an accident she's covered by my insurance, isn't she? Never heard of PASSENGER insurance have you!!! It's all part and parcel of the same thing surely, if you agree to get in (car) on (bike) then your covered by my insurance aren't you? Unless you are A, not licenced to carry passengers (bike) then you can't carry anyone until you pass the test and remove "L" plates. B. Carrying them for financial gain, different type of insurance altogether. C. Not wearing the correct type of gear (bike) crash hat and such, in which case your a dipshit and deserve all you get.

• Like 1

As mentioned, it depends on your individual policy wording.

It should be automatically excluded from 125cc policies, for obvious reasons.

It costs me nothing, so I always have it. I believe it mainly comes in if the accident is your fault, or summat...

Its not a case of it increases if you carry a passenger, that would be the standard rate, it does in some cases give a discount if you don't carry a passenger, but only if you specifically state that you won't. I guess the reason for this is that in the event of any accident, the personal injury claim would be less. But its not the case that you are penalised for carrying a passenger.

I was asked if I was going to carry a pillion when I notified my insurer after getting my full licence last year. I just said yes under the principle "better with than without" and because of that, my premium went up by £30. I didn't carry a single pillion that year so you could say it was a loss on my part. At renewal this year, the pillion cover was excluded. I know I don't need it because I don't plan on carrying a pillion but just on the off chance that I do, I felt bad for not having it included. I made this thread just to double check what the cover meant because I was worried my premium was going to go up again. Just gave them a call today and adding the cover had no effect on the premium :D.

It should be automatically excluded from 125cc policies, for obvious reasons.

I assume the obvious reason is because they aren't powerful enough to carry a pillion? I've always thought that myself, but, it's funny seeing how powerful a 125 is in some Asian countries where seeing a family of four is pretty common :P.

I think the obvious reason meant is because the majority of 125 riders are still on L plates so are not legally allowed a pillion.

I think the obvious reason meant is because the majority of 125 riders are still on L plates so are not legally allowed a pillion.

Precisely.

I have the option on most online forms to exclude it but unless specified, it comes as part & parcel.

You can do pillion on 125, but it's pretty shit unless you're just nipping into town or summat. The poor things suffer enough as is!

i thought if you held a full bike licence you were allowed to ride pillion with a learner.

As far as I am aware and from reading here https://www.gov.uk/rules-motorcyclists-83-to-88/motorcycle-licence-requirements you can not carry a pillion until you have passed your test.

Not sure what the old rules were as I passed my test when I was 17 (33 years ago) so the only time I couldn't have a pillion was the year I spent with my old FS1E before I took my test.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online