New arrival - '77 RD400D bitsa

DirtyDT
This post is 3823 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

4 or 5 grand owch it doesn't cost that much even if its complete restoration unless you are paying someone else to do it.

I don't have a lot of 400C bits. I have 1 pair of NOS foot rest rubbers I'll PM you as I don't want to be inundated with PM's

There is also a chap selling off his RD/LC stuff as he is moving I know he has a A/C frame and LC pipes also a TZ seat unit, few chassis & electrical bits.

Basically I know quite a few people who are not on the ACRD site with stuff.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Cheers Preload.

Got your PM and I have replied. I did have to laugh at the NOS footrests, only because the bike has rearsets on at the moment and I don't have the original, underslung, footrest bar. I am not dismissing them BTW, I just need to think whether I should keep the rearsets on it. Unfortunately it is the type where the gear lever is put on backwards so the up and down on the gears will be reversed. It should make it interesting if I forget in the rain and change down instead of up.

You'll find the underslung front peg bracket on eBay or try Moist or RDJames on the ACRD site you'll need the the 2 mounting brackets and suspension rubbers as well as there quite pricey new.

Funny you mentioning rearsets I'm making some at the moment for my 400C mainly because I'm bored. The race shift would be interesting as you say in the wet.

Have you anymore photos of the bike?

You'll find the underslung front peg bracket on eBay or try Moist or RDJames on the ACRD site you'll need the the 2 mounting brackets and suspension rubbers as well as there quite pricey new.

Funny you mentioning rearsets I'm making some at the moment for my 400C mainly because I'm bored. The race shift would be interesting as you say in the wet.

Have you anymore photos of the bike?

I have seen the footrest brackets on fleabay, cheers.

Is there anything you want a picture of in particular? There are some on the first page of this thread.

Here are a few more pictures anyway. The bungies are just holding some plastic over the seat to save the foam from getting soaked and I have both carbs. They are 2R9 00's which are off the 400E model and quite rare I have been told.

RD4006.JPG

RD4007.JPG

RD4008.JPG

RD4009.JPG

RD40010.JPG

RD40011.JPG

Doesnt look to bad close up just a lot of cleaning. You'll quite few bits to get it to standard.

Those carbs are rare dont get suckered out of them they will work with any 400 motor with a bit of jetting, unless a D pair and money is flowing.

Note 400 headers are longer than 250 as the 400 barrels are taller so watch that too and later one's are wider at the can end.

Your wheels are off a later E/F RD which are lighter and better. Which also means your forks should be 35mm where D forks I think were 34mm.

The 2 into 1 will rob you of power but its unusual though.

Thanks Preload.

Just of a matter of interest, what kind of money do the 2R9 carbs go for?

I am confused about the pipes. I wanted to go for a set of 400's (maybe Allspeeds or Microns) but if the headers are different then I will struggle to get a set of 400's that I could use on the 250 engine. Is that what you are saying? Oh, by the way, it isn't a 2into 1, just that the end can is missing off the left one.

Do you think that the whole front end is off the E model and would this affect any braking parts, repair kits etc that I would need to buy?

It looks like more of a bitsa than I thought. Better wheels, front end (?) and carbs all from an E model, but a 250 engine.........................what was the bloke thinking?

Thanks Preload.

Just of a matter of interest, what kind of money do the 2R9 carbs go for?

I am confused about the pipes. I wanted to go for a set of 400's (maybe Allspeeds or Microns) but if the headers are different then I will struggle to get a set of 400's that I could use on the 250 engine. Is that what you are saying? Oh, by the way, it isn't a 2into 1, just that the end can is missing off the left one.

Do you think that the whole front end is off the E model and would this affect any braking parts, repair kits etc that I would need to buy?

It looks like more of a bitsa than I thought. Better wheels, front end (?) and carbs all from an E model, but a 250 engine.........................what was the bloke thinking?

The carbs worth more only to someone that wants a standard bike as for price don't really know they were married to the special 2R9 barrels which had slightly different porting.

When it comes to after market cans they tend to come with the header welded on I'm not sure but I think a set of 400 will fit a 250 but will hang 5-6mm lower but I wouldnt think 250's will fit a 400 as too tight.There is a chap on ACRD that makes spannies that attach to original headers and keep the centrestand again I cant think of his name!!

The front end is a common upgrade as a lot of RD parts are interchangeable yours is probably the best combination. I have a set of 34mm forks slightly pitted with axle but not sure if I have the yokes if you want to standardise your bike. Those calipers C/D are better than the pivot style one fitted to the E/F models.

I think your bike is ex race and he sold if with a 250 lump as 400 motors are hard to come across. I would do what Merv said make it into a 250, I personally would start to fix all the normal bits like clean/paint/plastic coat the chassis while finding all the 400 bits to convert.

My 400C I've had since Sept 2012 and all I have done is sorted it a bit just to get it MOTed as I have to go through the Nova system which came in April this year then I realised I could have Novaed it without an MOT Doh! anyway all I have been doing is looking for parts to tidy it up. Note: Nova doesnt apply to you!

Now dont take this wrong DT but I would be looking for a doner bike or use yours a the doner as the cost is going to be mad high even if your going make a 400 Cafe or Special.

Thanks for all the additional information.

I think I need to clarify my position with the bike. My mind runs projects and plans these out, that's how it works for me so I absorb as much as I can by whatever route I can.

I am not really in the market for a show winner or a trick bike. My views is to run it looking like it could do with some cosmetic work but mechanically perfect. I am not fussed about running it as a 250 either, I brought it as a non runner and, as soon as I get a little time, it will be a runner.

A lot of my questions are around identifying what is what. And I am learning. I don't want to order parts to find they don't fit so research is important to me. Identifying the forks means that I can look at fork seals and head bearings which will fit. The spannies will be a big investment. I don't want to buy a set that I can't use when I drop a 400 lump back into it. It may be a case of just getting some scummy ones cheap for a 250 to get it on its way. Knowing that the calipers are from the c/d model means I can get piston and seal kits for them and they will fit.

I will look at the sump plug later to see if it is wired, that is quite a give away as to any race heritage.

As for the doner bike and engine, I am already on the case. Maybe the plan is to run 2 of them, one a 400 and one a 250. Not sure yet but doner plans are already running.

I do really appreciate the info from all but it is my first 400 rd.

Cheers.

• 3 months later...

Hi DT..was reading this thread and wondering how the 400 was progressing..is she running yet?.

An RD350LC would really complete my collection..I only have trail bikes. But they are seriously scarce in these parts.

vywx.jpg

The RD runs but I haven't done anything with it yet. The YA is getting stripped first and it is in parts at the moment although I am leaning to working on the RD and YA at the same time.

My current 2 stoke collection is:

The RD400

RD0001.JPG

The TS250

TS0001.JPG

The YA-6

YA0001.JPG