New arrival - '77 RD400D bitsa

DirtyDT
This post is 3828 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Cheers guys.

It needs more than a few days work Slice. Recollections from my youth, they were pretty scary to ride when new.

You wil need a complete 400 lump mate, crankcases are different , stroke is longer, 400 barrels do not go on a 250 bottom end , but if you can find a decent set of older 350 barrels that is feasible, take a look at the Project X 350 conversion on the RD forum

I joined the Aircooledrd forum yesterday Merv and have been in contact with Paul Dawkins today. I think I have a lot of reading and understanding to do before I start to mess properly with it and I still have the YA to finish first (I think). I will probably end up buying a complete lump TBH as I would like a 1A3 engine but read some of the project X thread earlier......................very interesting.

I brought the TS in worse condition so it's just about time, blood and money now. It's the time that worries me.

The TS was like this when I got it and the barrel was just placed loosely in there as there was no piston in it.

1.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You know that would be a good working classic.

Enough go and comfy. Plenty have been ruined by restoring.

Little ends crank seals and the crappy electronic ig were the weak points.

Oh and the earlier opposed piston brakes are better than the later sliding jobbies.

You lucky bastard. I have nearly bought 2 400's. One was a near thing with the tdr. The other was a pile of crap i was talked out of thankfully.

You know that would be a good working classic.

Enough go and comfy. Plenty have been ruined by restoring.

Little ends crank seals and the crappy electronic ig were the weak points.

Oh and the earlier opposed piston brakes are better than the later sliding jobbies.

You lucky bastard. I have nearly bought 2 400's. One was a near thing with the tdr. The other was a pile of crap i was talked out of thankfully.

All good info Jason.

Only time will tell if I have been lucky but I could get away with a minimal restore.

You got a steal ther mate " and thers a 400 lump 1 mile from me :yeah: , without barrels & carbs, i will enquire if you need it , he wont sell to others , so no rush :zwinky:

shame but still a bargain!!

I guess the guy you bought it from would have known it would have been worth a lot more if it had matching numbers.

I guess the guy you bought it from would have known it would have been worth a lot more if it had matching numbers.

Heh you buy a 400 cos you want a 400. You will never maje money fixing one up.

Everything cost more cos its for the 400. Its why most are ruined by 'restorers'. They get halfway. Realise the is no money in it and flog the parts to cover their money.

It is worth buying at 400 quid to leave it in the shed.

You got a steal ther mate " and thers a 400 lump 1 mile from me :yeah: , without barrels & carbs, i will enquire if you need it , he wont sell to others , so no rush :zwinky:

I would be interested to see what he wants for the engine so if you could inquire please. Looks like I am looking for a 1A3-00**** one I think. Cheers John.

The guy is a Dealer with a shop. He brought it because the owner died and intended to tinker with it himself. Would have been nice with the right engine and nicer with matching numbers but I could have spent over a grand on a restore one like that.

Heh you buy a 400 cos you want a 400. You will never maje money fixing one up.

Everything cost more cos its for the 400. Its why most are ruined by 'restorers'. They get halfway. Realise the is no money in it and flog the parts to cover their money.

It is worth buying at 400 quid to leave it in the shed.

I agree Jason. A good 400 lump will come along. Not as if I need to ride it to work on Monday.

Nice buy DT. You cant lose on that really. However if you take time doing it the parts will come along at the right price. As said its easier and cheaper to make a 350. Fitting a 400 motor can be a costly option and it will never be worth as much as matching numbers bike.

Who gives a monkeys what its going to be worth. So what on the numbers.

I would love a 400. Trouble is i also want my dads 71 honda cb175t.

If your first thought is its finished value your missing the point.

Soon just seeing an old smoker will be an event. Some of the young snotties at work have no idea giant killers like the 400 even existed.

There is summat about em, i cannot explain it , the TDR250 is quicker and handles better, the Z 650 is easier to ride no so much gear changing, but the RD,s are summat else, the 250 is slightly buzzier than the 400, and engine parts are more plentiful, resto with the 250 motor for now and watch for a 400 one, you wil need the correct rear mounting brackets the 400 engine they are different to the 250, the 400 engine is rubber mounted,

Oh and if you want a rare as rocking horse pooh mod that will lighten the bike and look better look for a set of spoke wheels , those allys weigh a bloody ton

Only a fool will throw money at a bike that you would never get back. There's a good British 400C with matching number for sale with MOT for £2100 on the ACRD site and I know of another one that going for £1500 that's a road runner. DT would have to spend a lot of cash to put it back to a decent 400D.

i think you done well with the buy

restored the bike will be worth a lot more to you when you get admirers remembering their youth on one

they were popular bikes when they came out

............................resto with the 250 motor for now and watch for a 400 one, you wil need the correct rear mounting brackets the 400 engine they are different to the 250, the 400 engine is rubber mounted,

Cheers Merv. I was wondering which way to go so, assuming that the 250 can start, I will get it running as it is. I notice the home made rear mounting bracket when I looked around it. I guess that alarm bells should have rung, I am still pleased with the bike. The seat foam and base are in very good condition and the tank, although it has a few dings, is solid and very clean inside.

Only a fool will throw money at a bike that you would never get back. ............................

I'm that man.

Dirty's the name, saving old bikes is the game!

i think you done well with the buy

restored the bike will be worth a lot more to you when you get admirers remembering their youth on one

they were popular bikes when they came out

Do I really want loads of bald fat old blokes as admirers? Oh, sorry, I see what you mean ;) . They are iconic bikes and there are some very nice ones around.

I think Cynic got it right. A good usable classic and who cares about the cash. If it is another old stroker saved then I did good.

I'm that man.

Dirty's the name, saving old bikes is the game!

Are one of those rich guys that out bid me on eBay?

Do I really want loads of bald fat old blokes as admirers? Oh, sorry, I see what you mean ;) . They are iconic bikes and there are some very nice ones around.

I think Cynic got it right. A good usable classic and who cares about the cash. If it is another old stroker saved then I did good.

We all like saving classic's but if you can save 2 for price of 1 thats got to be the only way..

Not rich but I am normally quite flush, thank you.

I would like to save as many as I can. Unfortunately I don't have the space at the moment to get into double figures but it is only a matter of time. I fully take your point about saving 2 for the price of 1 but someone has to save the bikes that are really beyond saving.

I have easlie spent more on keeping my wr running than I paid for it ,so as the saying goes "you got to pay to play"

If you had bouhgt the bike to restore and sell then it would be a poor investment,but you will keep it and ride it once done so the money factor is not applicable IMO,I think you got the bike for a graet price even if you have to rebuild the whole bike,you will have a classic built the way you want it.

I hate seeing bikes restored to the point that no one will ride it for fear of it getting old again,thats BS,fixer up nice enought to ride safely and look good but don't go over kill on eveery last nut and bolt then park it under glass,there is enough of thoes bike.

Be looking foward to the project page and folowing the build. you got a solid start enjoy the journey Dirtydt

EDIT I guess I'm a fool for spending money I'll never get back but I love my wr and even more when I pass a guy on a much newer bike,but it's mine set up for me just the way i like it and i cant go buy a new bike like that cheaper than to keep fixing mine.So untill it get realy hard to find parts for it I will keep floging this horse.

• Like 1

DT if I can help with parts I will, I'm more of a 350 man but have a few extra 400C bits.

I would sooner spend 4 or 5 grand on the rd than 6 on a new bike.

in 5 or 6 years time the rd will be worth 3 and the new one will be worth nothing.

which money is better spent?

I would sooner spend 4 or 5 grand on the rd than 6 on a new bike.

in 5 or 6 years time the rd will be worth 3 and the new one will be worth nothing.

which money is better spent?

That's my thinking except the value of the RD in a few years time. If I can get on with it It will end up a keeper.

DT if I can help with parts I will, I'm more of a 350 man but have a few extra 400C bits.

I could be interested in some parts Preload. Thanks for the offer, what do you have? PM me if you like.

As I posted on the ACRD forum earlier, the dealer technician couldn't get the bike started (no spark) which must have helped with the price. The cylinder bolts were finger tight. I had a look see in the bores and they are great. A little messing earlier and I have a spark. Better than that; the bike starts. I have only poured a little fuel down the bores but it runs until the fuel empties. The carbs need stripping now as one is leaking. I sat on the bike earlier and it took me back 35 years to when I had the GT250 and GT380 Suzi's, oh happy days!!!

I am going to move this into the classics section as the thread may run and I don't want to break my own rules ;)