XJ900F - getting a new home

IKE
This post is 2773 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Nice job. Sounds like you're doing it up right! :thumb:

Only one thing missing... pictures. :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Aha, good point. I'll post a couple of shots this weekend.

• Like 1

OK, have a couple of photos now but...

How do I upload them? Do I do that here, or in the gallery or what?

I'll have another look around, but any suggestions welcome.

Cheers

You gotta upload the pics to a host site like photo bucket and then link to them here. :) the FAQ section has some help too.

Ike get a photobucket account (free) then upload to there and then transfer it across to your item, easy really just a bit of a faff.

• 10 months later...

Hi everyone. Sorry for the delay but I am back on the project again - still need to master the photo bucket thing though. Anyway, here's a progress report:

Engine out and on the bench, wiring loom removed, wheels and plastics all off. Rear wheel off, shocks out and about to remove the swinging arm/drive shaft - I already have a set of new bearings as there is some play in the old ones. Still have the front wheel and forks on just to keep the frame stable. Plan now is to get the front end off and get the frame powder-coated. Damage spotted so far is a broken stud hole at an exhaust port. The stud had been araldited in place to hold the pipe on! Anyway, the head will be taken to a local alloy repair man and only if it can be fixed will I take off the valve gear for a top end overhaul. No point in grinding the valves if the head is to be scrapped. I try to get some photos on here in the next week or so.

Happy spannering.

Glad your back IKE. Good call on the valve gear as you say no point in doing a job just to throw it away and having to do it again. :jossun:

OK, here is my first attempt at posting a photo. This was taken on the day it arrived. As you will see from my latest posts, the engine is out and the frame is nearly bare. image_zps3aaf9b67.jpg

This shows the engine on my bench in my workshop. The photo was taken through the window and the Orange tint is a reflection of autumn leaves I the garden. 48ca62eb47bb7fc0d9d41dac38a62c11_zpsaf4e

This shows the engine on my bench in my workshop. The photo was taken through the window and the Orange tint is a reflection of autumn leaves I the garden.

why, you locked out? :razz:

The, almost, stripped frame. I started to wire-brush some of the paint to make sure there is no corrosion underneath. So far, so good. d26c6276694bfbfbdfdf20d97bfbfcc1_zps285a

Ha ha Drewpy. No, my workshop is so small that I would have to take the photo with the window behind the engine so it would have been a wash out with glare.

This photo shows the damaged stud-hole on number 1 cylinder exhaust. I'll post a close up next...2afa50bb0ec8fac88e6b8eeb933035a6_zps305b

As promised. The hole has been busted out the side of that flange so my plan, if it can be done, is to getter hole completely filled and then re-drilled and tapped. 41b39462f859dffcafb7ae5ec04b4245_zps3a3e

Other than that why not just stick another head on it? Plenty of spares on ebay and will save time and frustration. My FJ had about 3 broken off and all were throughly fubared, so £50 later a nice head with all new bolts plunked down on the welcome mat, plus I got a spare set of cam shafts and valves out of it so a winner all the way as it would have cost £30 a hole at my local engineers and there are 12 of the buggers.

Hi Slice, yes, that is plan "B", but I'm a sad git and really would like to give it a try. If the expert says no, that's where I'll go (to E-Bay).

• 1 month later...

Hi IKE, thanks for all the posts, very informative. I have the same bike, same colour and everything. Mines a 1994 with 44k on the clock.
It's on SORN until the weather picks up. I'm planning on replacing the brake cables as they feel a bit "spongy" and also doing another few bits and bobs as time allows (full time job and two small kids!!). Anyway, just thought I'd let you know I've enjoyed the posts both yours and the replies from slice.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ressie et al. Just collected my frame from the Powder Coaters in Perth. Frame and stands are black with the swinging arm in silver. Looks sweet but I'm almost scared to start putting bits on in case I scratch the paintwork. I'll be using loads of those copper pipe insulating foam tubes when I get round to reassembly. Oh, I have obtained a bench blasting cabinet so that I can have a go at some of the smaller bits and pieces.

Good luck with your project Ressie, I have my eye on some of those nice new braided brake hoses all over eBay. I probably won't be doing much until after Christmas but I'll post some photos of the rebuild in the New Year.

Season's Greetings to everyone.

• 1 month later...

So, I have completed my first item of the resto! Not a very big item, but at least it's a start. I have fitted new bearing races to the swinging arm. The races were frozen for two days in the freezer then tapped into the housings. Used a drift to knock them home and "the job's a good un" - as Guy Martin would say.

042c9f7cb0f6213e9d240225af810e3f_zps8b13