DT175MX Jetting, Plug Chops and Confusion

Airhead
This post is 3927 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

OK so over last couple of months, Ive been dong some WOT plug chops to try to achieve the holy grail of a coffee colour at my sparkplug, I suppose since I fitted the temperature gauge I've been a bit paranoid about the temperature this engine runs at!

so what do you guys think of this then

Rich, Right, Lean ???

Copyof102_2620_zps5cbed978.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Acording to Stan [ stephens] the man,, its not the earth strap [ tip] that the colour is , its the threaded area, and yours looks Blackish,,

rich then,,, also he says W.O.throttle, but not full revs, if you know wot he means,, :eusa_think:

I was reading somethin about dt175 mx's tother day regarding the spark plug position. Apparently its not best suited to new fuels. Explains why I have melted a couple of pistons recently. They reckon an it175 head is the way to go, with its.centrally positioned spark plug. Might be some mileage in it. I dont know.

I read the same thing just tonight eddie, frankly I dont believe it's correct though whatever their conclusion was!...or we'd all be having the same problem wouldnt we?

so then...what do you think of this sparkplug?

I was reading somethin about dt175 mx's tother day regarding the spark plug position. Apparently its not best suited to new fuels. Explains why I have melted a couple of pistons recently. They reckon an it175 head is the way to go, with its.centrally positioned spark plug. Might be some mileage in it. I dont know.

I did think there would be a pandemic of blown DT engines if really was that bad. Yours looks ok to me Paul. But hey what do I know, mine's often looked similar and then left me stranded on the dual carriageway twice!

I bought a dial gauge not so long ago from yambits but its about as useful as a chocolate chip pan. The extensions are either too short or too long.

I did think there would be a pandemic of blown DT engines if really was that bad. Yours looks ok to me Paul. But hey what do I know, mine's often looked similar and then left me stranded on the dual carriageway twice!

I bought a dial gauge not so long ago from yambits but its about as useful as a chocolate chip pan. The extensions are either too short or too long.

Eddie get an old bicycle spoke...you may find the thread is the same as on your dial gauge....then just cut it to length. Thats what I did when faced with the same problem.

Aahh good idea Paul. However the gauge itself is now gubbed! Basically I turned the motor over with a too long proddy bit and now it's.propr done in. Im not a hapless teenager. Honest.

Looks about spot on to me. I wouldn't want to lean that up anymore and would take into account the quality of the 2 stroke oils now compared to when these bikes were built.

Haha Paul, was that aimed at me?

I have a feeling that Paul is leading us on before making a grand declaration as to how he knows the answer!! :)

I'd say your plug is exactly spot-on!!

V.

I'll throw in for a bit on the lean side with today's ethanol-diluted crap. Seems there should be at least a hint of blush to the ceramic. FWIW.

I hope it's not because my plug is about the same. Mind you he may have had at least the head off, according to another thread, so I hope that the bike is OK!

Wheres that bloody Cynic " :shrug: i want the conclusion, has he run out of oil AGAIN,,,, :lipseal:

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online