First ever pillion

Mallory1
This post is 3708 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Gotta love em, they just don't have the fear like an adult does, my lad lives with his mum and ever since my car was in the garage for repairs and I picked him up on the bike now every week I have to collect him on it.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Keep it going Mallory! I was six when my cousin took my for a spin around the back alleys of Barking. No gear, no lid (but have a sneaky suspicion we were probably going very slowly) and sure my feet didn't hit the pegs! Whatever, from that point on I could hardly wait until I was old enough to get my first bike :hyper:

My three daughters would love to travel pillion but their Mum won't let them. She's convinced bikes are deadly beasts just waiting to eat her babies (they're 13, 17 & 19). The oldest two want bikes of their own but she says over her rotting corpse.

• 4 weeks later...

Well guys - just browsing the site + found this thread. I'd never attempted having pillion passengers before but on a visit to my sister's family on a temporary caravan site, my youngest niece (15) kept pestering for a ride on my bike. So, took her for a circuit of the camping site. She screamed her head off initially, then decided she really enjoyed it + demanded several more rides on the bike - so another potential biker is born. So, under the amused gaze of a bike group also using the camp site, I took my other niece + both my sisters (not all at once) as pillions round the site. I am ashamed to say both my sisters + other niece screamed + were right girls blouses about it (at 20 mph!), but I have great hopes that my youngest niece will be someone I can hand my bike keys to when I"m past riding my bike!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

As a little development in this thread, I feel compelled to share with you all my recent (yesterday) experience as a pillion myself!

The context : the Hyundai trajet, or should I say Hyundai tragedy which her indoors drives was banjaxed over the weekend (head gasket gone). Therefore, she commandeers my skoda superb under some remote marital legal technicality which involves me never enjoying anything above her ankles ever again if I don't comply (bit harsh I thought). So, we're down to 1 car and she's out for the day when I needed to collect my beloved fazer. What to do? The mechanic is approx 30 miles away so walking was out and the kids were using the space hopper. Answer? Ride pillion on my mates v-storm 1000 - or as he worryingly put it, 'riding bitch'.

Anyway, here's what I learnt from the journey:

1. It NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER feels right to have your best mate sitting between your thighs ..... Unless your best mate is a member of the Australian beach volley ball team,

2. It's not a good idea to continually try to peek past the rider in an effort to read the road for him thereby enabling you to point out potential hazards like some crazed motorcycle instructor. From my mates liberal use of the French language (which I didn't realise he spoke so fluently) this back seat riding is a tad distracting.

3. Assuming the rider is safe and competent (which thankfully my friend is) it really is OK to release a Vulcan death grip on the grab rail after the first 25 miles .. Or before your hands start to go numb,

4. Being a pillion is actually a really nice way to travel and enjoy the sights which even as a rider you'd probably struggle to appreciate as much,

5. It's so much easier as a pillion to check out pretty joggers ..... If you were single of course and not happily married, ahem.

6. Despite my best efforts, it still felt gay (see point 1).

• Like 2

Im with you Mall, i hate riding pillion, done it a few times and even with a compitant rider it takes me far to long to actually sit back and enjoy it, much rather be in control and not have to part my legs for a bloke

• Like 1

I got into riding after years of riding as a pillion. Then again I'm a woman so clearly it's acceptable to spread my legs for others... :eusa_whistle:

• Like 5

Shame ive got ride of my pillion seat or dose that not matter? :whistle:

Im with you Mall, i hate riding pillion, done it a few times and even with a compitant rider it takes me far to long to actually sit back and enjoy it, much rather be in control and not have to part my legs for a bloke

Most frequent riders hate going pillion as their rider NEVER rides the way you like it and you can't help but get picky, especially when they do things like ride too close to the vehicle in front, ride the clutch around corners and roundabouts, etc etc...

So long as I have a decent backrest and can therefore sit back without having to hold on anywhere, I'm mostly fine with it. Not holding on means I am more stable, less fidgety and pose no distraction to the rider = Better ride!!

NOTE: Only men with inferiority complexes and/or small penises call it "Ridin' Bitch".

For the rest of us, your pillion is now a multi-function facilitator, who will fill whichever role(s) you need at the time. For example: Cameraman, Navigator, DJ, Police & Speed Camera Lookout, Weapons Operator, etc...

You call it Ridin' Bitch... I call it having the ability to employ a pump action shotgun!! :lol:

• Like 1

Well bippo, I can't comment on the direction of your legs but I suppose if your first encounter with motorcycling is as a pillion then perhaps it's easier.

Ttaskmaster--I like the idea of the shotgun :) I could take out a few beemers? As for penis size, I have a personal rule not to ask my male friends (I find this approach tends to work best). So, I will just accept your advice and pity the poor fella ..... And his wife.

As for penis size, I have a personal rule not to ask my male friends (I find this approach tends to work best).

No need to ask. The larger the handgun calibre or the bigger cc of his BMW engine, the smaller 'it' is - Use that and make fun, heh heh!!

Incidentally, I have no BMW and my weaponry tends to be around the .25 Berettas,

Note this only works with handgun calibres as REAL men handle 12g, 7.62mm (5.56mm permissible *only* if it's issued or is in a H&K product) or 20mm and 60mm High Explosive.

Good lord - It's a good job I'm employed to stop trains from derailing, as I'm otherwise only good for derailing forum threads!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Firstly, my apologies for restarting a "derailed" thread lol. Dispute being pretty new to a bigger bike, my other half is quite excited at the possibility of going for a few pillion rides. Obviously I'm pretty nervous about this, as I know lower speeds will be heavier handling and I'm likely to have a death grip locked onto both sides of my chest. Vulcan death grip comes to mind

You could get a pair of love handles?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORCYCLE-MOTORBIKE-PILLION-PASSENGER-LOVE-HANDLES-GRIPS-FOR-HOLDING-ON-/220962786987

They are great for making the pillion feel confident but don't interfere with the rider. My son used to use them when he went pillion with me as he always felt a bit nervous just holding on to me or the bike.

You could get a pair of love handles?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORCYCLE-MOTORBIKE-PILLION-PASSENGER-LOVE-HANDLES-GRIPS-FOR-HOLDING-ON-/220962786987

They are great for making the pillion feel confident but don't interfere with the rider. My son used to use them when he went pillion with me as he always felt a bit nervous just holding on to me or the bike.

My wife likes (love handles) these too,

• Like 1

My one rule to anybody getting on the back of the bike is.

Don't get on or off the bike until I say so.

Otherwise you will lose the balance and possibly tip over.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was glad my first ride with a pillion on the back was a mate, not long passed my test 18 knew it all etc. In reality I had no idea how much another 10 stone would change the dynamics of the bike.

Naturally decided to show off and although a Suzuki GT185 wasn’t exactly the most powerful thing on 2 wheels I still managed to lift the front wheel, instead of backing of the power gently dropped it right of, front wheel hit the road and we both fell off.

Luckily no damage to us or the bike and we both had a laugh about it, he was game and we went out for a run round the local lanes, valuable lesson learned and no harm dome thankfully.

Over the years I have no developed a few rules; no guys they always want to take over, look what is happening don’t trust my judgment.

Girl made far better passengers they were happy to just sit back and enjoy the ride and let you get on with what you wanted to (and maybe later let you carry on doing what you wanted if they liked you).

It also felt odd one of you male mates sat right behind you in a position you would much rather be enjoyed by a girl.

Seriously though if your first ride with a pillion is a child you will be careful be the same with an adult you get a nervous rider that fights you and the bike and you could be in trouble fast and the way your bike behaves is totally different.

Hated and will never be a pillion again unless it is an absolute emergency, mind never be sat behind a leather clad biker chick and at 54 with a non motorcycling wife doubt i will get the delight of that experience.

It also felt odd one of you male mates sat right behind you in a position you would much rather be enjoyed by a girl.

I'm sure my lad used to get a lazy lob on, I can only presume it was the vibrations.

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd resurrect this thread!

Since passing my test in December and getting my new bike just before Christmas I've taken 3 different people out on the bike. Have to say I've thoroughly enjoyed it!

And I finally managed to get my missus on the back yesterday, I've been bullying her for a whole about it haha.

She was really scared so took her down some friendly roads I know well, stopped at a junction after about 5 miles, asked her if she was ok. Long story short she loved it and had no idea why she was so scared haha, women!

Ended up taking her another 20 miles or so and dropping her off to meet some friends. Next step is to get her riding....

• Like 1

I remember being pilion at 17,[ mates GT500] having a plaster on ,after breaking my leg, the toe was scuffed flat with cornering, :babyha:

Heres foamy on his Jawa"

Haha took my old man out the bike as well, he told me when we got back, that the last time he rode pillion his arm was in plaster due to getting knocked off his bike.

His mate ended up crashing and he broke the same arm in two other places haha. No wonder he was worried!