*NOOB* Disconnecting the battery

laydeepunch
This post is 3958 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have to put my YBR into storage (container in a warehouse) for a month and a half and with good reason the company asked me to make sure I disconnect the battery when I leave it. I do NOT know how to do this and scoured google with no result.

Can someone please give me a simple breakdown of how this is done? I'm not too DIY-savvy in the motor department!

Thanking you!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I don't know your bike, but...

You'll likely have to remove one of the covers beneath the seat. I'm betting the left hand one:

There may be some kind of bracket/cover over the battery. Likely just unclips or unscrews.

Then you use either a screwdriver or the appropriately sized socket end to unscrew the screw from each of the two terminals.

NOTE: Do NOT let the metal tools touch anything apart from the one terminal you're working on, else you could cause sparks, shorts, self-electrocution and so on. On my Drag, undoing one terminal slightly on the conk connects the terminal to the exhaust - Really makes you jump when that happens!!

I prefer the socket, myself. Just try different ends until you find which one fits snugly. Likely an 8mm or 10mm.

Remove each screw from the terminals, put them somewhere safe and then move the thick red and black wires out of the way.

Next, the battery is likely held in place by a rubber strap, or something. Should just unhook at one end.

Take the battery out, replace the cover and you're done.

Terminals are usually square loops with holes through them and small, loose bars of metal inside that the screws screw into. Don't lose the bars, either. Put them with the screws.

Re-fitting the battery is pretty much the reverse, although the bars can make it a bit more fiddly.

Also, owners manual here:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=ybr125%20remove%20battery&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CFQQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ymenvom.nl%2Fnew%2Fmanuals%2FU27SE0_1.PDF&ei=Y-TBUbzFEo3otQbtx4CYCw&usg=AFQjCNHgu5SwhHRPmKfbslH9oKvM9Ya2CQ&bvm=bv.48175248,d.Yms&cad=rja

Well I popped open the side panel and was presented- much as described above, with a small battery hoisted by a rubber belt with two wires coming out of top left and right corners- one negative and positive apparently. My only concern as a totally clueless person is that if I put a screwdriver to them they're going to fry me. Or fry something else (which would be even more tragic as this IS my baby). IS it safe to unscew and disconnect those wires with standard tools and is there an order/procedure by which to do it? Checked my manual and it very helpfully said "If you're planning to store your motorbike for a long period of time you should fully charge the battery and remove it." It then went on to say NOTHING about how to remove it :D

You should disconnect the negative (usually black) wire first, it will not fry you as there is no potential voltage (electricity needs a potential of voltage to flow), once this is disconnected you can remove the positive wire safely, it will not shock you because by disconnecting the negative you have created an open circuit so no electricity can flow.

If you were to try and disconnect the positive first and happened to touch the spanner on a metal part of the bike whilst it is also on the positive terminal then you will get a splash and a funky new hairstyle.

hope this helps :)

I did say you could touch the terminals with the tools... just nothing else at the same time. Speaking from experience!

Also, don't lick the terminals, either... !!!

• Like 1

Don't frighten the lady Foamy! :D

Just disconnect the wires and tuck them out of the way, so they won't touch the battery terminals.

If you did happen to short the battery with your tools ie touch both terminals with your screwdriver,

((rest assured its not easy to do it, its designed in a way to reduce the risk of being able to bridge both terminals))

anyway you'll get a nice spark and it'll make you jump, but you won't get electrocuted...it's only 12volt.

Your household mains is 240v ...enough to kill you if you touch those! but 12v....no, just a big spark!

Sparks on the other hand don't go well with petrol fumes!........................................ :ambulance:

Duly noted and taken on board!

Will do my best not to break anything, or set fire to the bike and the container with my entire life's belongings inside it haha.

Thanks so much for all the help everyone- had a little look and a tinker and now everything makes sense; as usual it's a lot simpler than I thought. Onwards and upwards! :D

but you won't get electrocuted...it's only 12volt.

No death, but you can shock yourself... believe me!! :D

No death, but you can shock yourself... believe me!! :D

It's the current that kills you, not the voltage!

Still makes out go, "OWWWWWWFUCKITT" though!

As wild foamy has said when you take the battery off you should disconnect the negative terminal first then the positive one. When you go to put the battery back on connect the positive lead first then the negative one. Also make sure the breather pipe is put back on the battery and is not kinked.

Still makes out go, "OWWWWWWFUCKITT" though!

Haha true 240v is a good pisser, makes your arm tingle for a bit

Unrelated story:

At work we have a piece of test equipment called an insulation tester, basically a small box that sends high voltage through a cable and checks to see that it is insulated (the electricity isnt leaking out), the leccys used to have a nasty habit of wiring it up to the door handle leading into the hangar, when they saw someone go past the window they would energise the handle and anyone who touches it got a shock... evil bastards.

Haha love those. Trade name is a megger. We used to wire them up to the steel top of the workbench

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online