Anyone ever tried running a bike on alcohol?

oldbikerehab
This post is 3956 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm reading David Blume's "Alcohol Can Be A Gas: Fueling an Ethanol Revolution for the 21st Century" and the chapters on small utility engines, two-strokes, and motorcycle engines got me thinking. :eusa_think: What are the major performance differences? (For starters. . .)

It seems like someone with a good understanding of jetting and tuning could adjust for the octane differences, etc. and go off the grid with their fuel AND their WHISKEY! :drunk:

I'll try to put up a few of Blume's findings from some experiments a little later, but for now, I just thought I'd see if anyone had any good stories or experiences running their bikes on alcohol or other biofuels. Anybody ever have to get home on a pint of moonshine? rum? The Macallan?

You can actually read some of the chapters with the amazon look inside feature at this link if you are curious. The small engine and motorcycle section I'm talking about starts on page 421. The pages that are blocked show an alcohol modded Puch moped and some small utility engine mods.

http://www.amazon.com/Alcohol-Can-Be-Gas-Revolution/dp/0979043778/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371597950&sr=8-1&keywords=david+blume+alcohol+can+be+a+gas

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I always find that when I run my bike on alcohol I fall OFF!! Or is that just me?

• Like 2

(knock on wood) I've never fallen off, slice, but it sure can be a tough ride home when everything looks like I'm going at light speed in the Millenium Falcon! Must be the fumes.

Thanks for the note on Methanol, NE0. I'd wondered what to do with it, besides throw it out, if I have my own still some day.

Blume mentions that alcohol fueled engines run cooler and that alcohol racers, dirt track racers, particularly, have been known to remove most or all of their heat fins, since they never idle during a race. . .

For efficient running in street cycles, he recommends covering the leading edge of the fins to deflect most of the air and retain some heat in the block and head.

I always find that when I run my bike on alcohol I fall OFF!! Or is that just me?

Beat me to it!!

There was a Triumph on TV that ran on fermented/distilled apples not too long ago, iirc it was putting out more power than the petrol-fueled bike but due to th eamount of distilling it used a stupendous amount of apples to even make a tankfull

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online