YBR rear wheel swap

paul-666
This post is 3955 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Could I swap the rear wheel on my 125 ybr for the rear wheel on a ybr 250 ? I know the swing arm is different but the breaks are the same what else do I need to look up on this before starting anything ?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I never had a problem with the Pilot Sporty tyres - not sure if you have them on your YBR Paul?

Rode through winter without concerns over grip, and you can get a decent lean on them too. Compare them against the original tyres and you can see how different they are.

there's a lot to consider, for starters I imagine it would have a heaver sprocket and unless the width of to swing-arm's are the same & the Hubs, you will need custom made spacers so the sprockets align, then you would have to figure out if you can change the front sprocket & chain suppose it could be done but like chazillor said WHY!!

much easier to follow bippos advice tyre's

Yeah I know what you mean about it, they are so narrow when you look at them lol. As others have said though, Michelin Pilot Sporty tyres are fantastic. Rode all through the winter without wanting for more grip, those are a great investment before you go down the road of what would be a colossal ballache.

There's nothing wrong with it the tyres I have on are great I only missed 7 days over winter due to bad snow on the main roads so there's no problem there I just wanted to know what I needed to look at to do this as the rear wheel is only 90/90 18"and the 250 is 130/70 17" so there's a canny bit more rubber to keep you on the up right if you know what I mean

Just note that your smaller tyres will be better at carving through any snow etc, seeing as you're a winter rider.

I went to a Mini show in my classic Cooper Sport once, it had been raining heavily a few days before and the field we were parking in was muddy. My car got stuck because of the fat wheels. Managed to get it out by sticking it in 2nd and rocking it. Sprayed the Mini behind me who then strolled round me with their skinny (standard) wheels. Oops...

You also have to consider the additional weight and affect on speed etc. You've already mentioned that your YBR struggles up the hill to your house, so I'm not sure if this will help or hinder matters.

Just note that your smaller tyres will be better at carving through any snow etc, seeing as you're a winter rider.

I went to a Mini show in my classic Cooper Sport once, it had been raining heavily a few days before and the field we were parking in was muddy. My car got stuck because of the fat wheels. Managed to get it out by sticking it in 2nd and rocking it. Sprayed the Mini behind me who then strolled round me with their skinny (standard) wheels. Oops...

You also have to consider the additional weight and affect on speed etc. You've already mentioned that your YBR struggles up the hill to your house, so I'm not sure if this will help or hinder matters.

very true bippo

When I pass my direct access I'll be keeping my little YBR for the winter and the wife to ride ( so I maybe riding a pink bike soon in the snow lol)

apart from it having skinny wheels the bike it self is pretty much bomb proof (and wont go up big hills lol) I'm just looking at ways to try and make it a bit better there are a few different mods you can do to them but I don't want to do anything to the engine as its good of fuel and the body work is all fine it's just a few bits and bobs that could be better