Urgent: Dragstar Owners!!!

Ttaskmaster
This post is 3795 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Tout keeping every thing clean and lubed is always the best thing wink wink

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thing is, checking doesn't guarantee anything necessarily; metal fatigue is hard to spot (I think you'd need an x-ray machine or something); but hey, keeping it clean and lubed up can't hurt. Think I'll go and do it now...

Don't think it's metal fatigue, so much as just a point where corrosive crap accumulates very easily, VERY quickly (it's a couple inches off the wheel, right in the mud-flinging path... FFS, Yamaha!!) and very hard to keep checked & clean even if you have an angled jetwasher, without regular dismantling of the back end. Admitedly, it's not that hard, although the four side-bolts are made of cheese so you'll go through them quite often.

Well ladies and gentlemen, I could not believe the amount of crud caked on the lower end of my monoshock once I removed the rear fender. Managed to clean all the muck off, using liberal amounts of demon wheels cleaner, wire brush, steel wool and water. There's a thin film of brown rust on the bolt, nut and the shock itself but that is to be expected. Sanded/brushed as much of it off as I could. I'm reasonably confident the thing hasn't snapped. I then smothered it all in grease, especially the underside. Also applied Hammerite to the bits of the swingarm that had surface rust on them (having sanded it off first natch). Looks like a once-every-3 month job to me...

Cheers for the heads up Cap'n!

Edit: I could swear she's a slightly more comfortable ride now, but that could just be placebo...

Back in the days of steam i had suspention sieze. Expensive problem.

Most anual bikes will suffer. I consider it a std job at least once a year to strip and clean the suspention. Grease everything and reassemble. Never had issues since. I also ride all year.

I think i may have found a solution to this little problem, once i get some time on my hands and my fence and shed are fixed / built i will have a better gander at it then post up some ideas for you lot to rip apart. ;)

Bollocks, forgot to take pics. Kinda busy geeking over PC gaming peripherals and fettling wi' me new FJ1200. Sorry!!

The solution that occurred to me was a metal plate or bit of plastic, with holes punched in each corner, zip-tied on to the swingarm behind the shock absorber. Possibly one over it as well.

Curved plate, sort of like a hugger, but right in front of the wheel?

How likely is it the ties could snap and the plate fall into the wheel, or summat?

Not nay-saying at all, just fed up of stuff going wrong... even though I now know this ain't an all-year bike, unless you have a Prospect to scrub it for you every night!

Oh, and Toutsuite, once you have the back end off, you should be able to see if it's fatigued enough to snap, or not. Giveaway is the seized lower linkage/bolt/bracket/general assembly. If you're moving clean and can disassemble to liberally grease up, you should be OK. Use yer nounce, though.

Well, I don't have a jack yet so was no able to remove the shock from the bike. Bouncing it up and down though it didn't look seized to me, was moving in the linkage as far as I could tell...

Even though I ride all year round I don't ride in all weathers; I avoid the rain (and the snow obviously!). Been caught in the rain a handful of times, but not a lot. Really it's just cos of all the chrome I gotta keep clean!

Been thinking of getting an old workhorse, something indestructible like a CB500 to ride in all weathers, and keep the draggie for pleasure riding in "clement" weather..

OK, finally remembered to take pics:

http://s483.photobucket.com/user/Ttaskmaster/slideshow/Ttaskmaster

Remember, this had snapped and I was unaware for a good couple of months, which is why the snapped end is so rusty.

• Like 1

O poo! that looks rather crappy.

It happened very soon after the last service and check-over. I know my mechanic does good work, so would have spotted this and I know he checked the thing over before properly lubing it up as I was smoking a ciggie and manning the bike jack while watching him do it!

I didn't even feel this go. I only knew my last one went as I rode over a sunken manhole cover to avoid a speed hump and the thing bumped out of it's place against the bush, where it'd been resting for however long. Sudden 'Low Rider' mode is a worrying experience.

So now y'all know what to look for, check regularly. Not a common thing to take the seats and back end off, but it doesn't take long and saves you several hundred quid.

Every 3 months, I reckon, or sooner if your bike has high mileage (ie more than 30,000 miles).

• 3 weeks later...

This is very interesting thanks for posting. I had the seat off adjusting the pre-load couple of days ago. Shock seemed tolerable for solo riding but when I took the gf for a short ride it was bouncing all over the place. Hit a slightly bumpy road at 70 and it bounced her right up out the seat. I think the shock may be screwed and its just kind of acting on the spring bouncing around, will see if its improved next time she comes out on the back of it. Im going to have a quick look at the bottom part of the bracket.

I was wondering, if you cant tell the shock mount has brocken without jacking it up to inspect how did they know it was brocken for your MOT? Thanks guys

I think the shock may be screwed and its just kind of acting on the spring bouncing around, will see if its improved next time she comes out on the back of it. Im going to have a quick look at the bottom part of the bracket.

Easy way to tell if it's under spring power alone - Bounce up and down on the back end. If it feels springy, it probably is. If it feels dampened, it probably is. Also inspect the piston itself, to see if the seal has blown and is leaking.

If it's actually snapped, chances are a heavy bump will unseat the piston base from where it's braced against the bracket and your back end will drop down a few inches with a massive CLUNK, leaving you riding low.

I was wondering, if you cant tell the shock mount has brocken without jacking it up to inspect how did they know it was brocken for your MOT? Thanks guys

Because on the MOT, they *do* jack the back up to test the swingarm movement and to spin the rear wheel when testing the back brake, examining the tyre, etc.

When they jack a broken one up the swingarm keeps lowering, prompting further inspection.

The ONLY way to tell yourself if it's actually broken off is a stripped-down close inspection, or to jack it up and see it separate from the bracket.

That makes sense, mot place by me doesnt bother they just bounce the front and back up and down then stick it on the rolling brake force tester. Backstreet MOT tester granted

So they don't spin the back wheel to check the bearings and against freeplay, or anything like that?

I'd find a better tester if I were you!!

we joke about the place at work, I dont reckon theyd drag a jack out for a cruiser(unless youre watching), if they cant lift the back end off the floor by leaning it over on the sidestand sportsbike style it wont get done. They actually snapped the sidestand off an r1 doing this then charged the owner for a new stand! They told me this while they were doing mine!

If you try lifting a Cruiser's (or indeed most bike's) back end by pivoting it on the sidestand, the stand will fold in and the bike will hit the deck, likely on top of you.

Either they are completely bullshitting, or they are seriously in need of a good head-kicking. Either way, NEVER go there again. Anyone responsible for certifying the safety of your bike shouldn't even joke about this... !!

If they are not joking, then aside from damaging expensive bikes and charging the owner for their stupidity, they're also not doing the proper checks and likely letting people out on bikes that are not certified as safe because they're too lazy to do their jobs... They are not jokes, they are complete cunts and I use that word because they deserve all the severity, venom and hatred it brings.

Cunts!!

Do not go there again, or you'll get NO sympathy if you have any bike problems, at least not from me.

Also, if they recently MOT'd your bike, then FFS get it re-done somewhere more reputable, as I'd not trust your bike as far as I could throw it if they are certifying it!

If you were a bit closer (or if you're passing this area soon), I'd find you three guaranteed reliable places! :)

Agree with everything above, this was last years mot I took it somewhere else this year after they left my bike parked outside on the carpark for 6 hours with the keys in it, when i went to pick the bike up he had just dropped someones ducati down the side of a car and broke the side fairing! The guy couldnt find my keys then even. tually realised theyd left them in the bike all day. The place is shocking

Name and shame, please - Where is this place, so we can all sensibly avoid it!!

This post is 3795 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.