Yamaha's brand new model, The MT-09

iandouglas
This post is 3966 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

looks good at first sight :spin2: 3 cylinder bike apparently - described as a lightweight 850cc, wide handlebars, inverted forks

2r254pt.jpg

blurb:-

Compact and lightweight 850cc 3-cylinder engine
To keep the MT-09 as light, slim and compact as possible, our designers have developed an all-new CF aluminium die-cast frame. Its low weight and excellent rigidity balance contribute towards the bike's agile handling performance, and help to keep the overall wet weight down to just 188kg.

Monocross suspension with asymmetric CF die-cast swingarm
The rear end features a lightweight asymmetric CF die-cast swingarm that gives a low unsprung weight for responsive suspension action and a comfortable ride. An almost horizontal rear shock is situated beneath the seat, and the externally mounted swingarm pivots keep the chassis slim for a compact riding position.

Stress-free ergonomics and a 'slim-fit' riding position
The new MT-09 is designed to handle a variety of roles, from sport through to weekend trips and the daily ride to work. Wide, tapered handlebars and a long, flat seat give stress-free ergonomics - and the sculpted 14-litre fuel tank with knee recesses ensures a comfortable 'slim-fit' riding position.

Concealed 3-into-1 exhaust
Equipped with connecting pipes for a good pulse effect, the compact 3-into-1 exhaust system contributes towards mass-centralisation for agile handling. Featuring a corrosion-proof Nanofilm coating, the three stainless steel downpipes run into a short and compact EU3-compliant muffler which emits a throaty note.

New style lightweight 10-spoke alloy wheels with 17-inch radial tyres
Lightweight designs are used throughout, and to achieve a low unsprung weight the MT-09 is fitted with all-new 10-spoke alloy wheels. The lightweight wheels are fitted with newly-developed radial tyres - 120/70ZR17 at the front and 180/55ZR17 at the rear - giving stable and responsive handling.

muffler which emits a throaty note - oh yes

aluminium frame - like it

wonder what the price will be?

irritatingly fleeting glimpses of the bike

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I.........WANT..........ONE!

I.........WANT..........ONE!

me too - must be seriously quick, too much for an old codger like me I fear,

first time I've seen something desireable in a while (bikewise I mean) :spin2:

a load of nice looking engine with a bike body sort of clipped on top - lovely jubbly

I like it to, and love the purple-style paint option.

The Yammy website is quoting £6,799 for one of these Ian.

I Like it a Lotta but 7k to me is out of reach, unless I win the lotto then I'd prob look for something else

A lot more than one of these bikes Tommy! Ouch...

115 bhp, bit more info:-

New Yamaha MT-09 850cc triple breaks cover

By Rich Newland -

New bikes

11 June 2013 15:10

An all-new 850cc street-focused triple for just £6799? Meet the future of Yamaha…

Yamaha have released details of one of their most important new bikes in decades, the MT-09. It’s an all-new naked middleweight designed specifically for the European market with a brand-new 850cc transverse three-cylinder engine, upright riding position, distinctive styling – and a hugely attractive price tag of just £6799.

Yamaha took the unusual step of publicly admitting at the 2012 Cologne motorcycle show it wasn’t doing enough to bring out exciting motorcycles, wasn’t selling enough bikes and was losing customers as they went elsewhere.

Now Yamaha wants the world to understand its back.

At the heart of the new bike is the 850cc motor which the firm promises will deliver instant throttle response with lots of low and mid-range torque. Peak power is a claimed 115bhp at 10,500rpm with 62lbft of torque at 8500rpm. This puts it almost bang in the middle of the sort of performance from the Triumph Street triple 675 and the Speed Triple 1050.

Engine highlights
• 850cc liquid-cooled 4-stroke 3-cylinder DOHC 4-valve
• ‘Crossplane philosophy’ for linear torque output
• 115hp @ 10,500rpm
• 85 Nm @ 8,500rpm
• 78mm x 59.1mm bore x stroke
• 120º crank with firing sequence at 0º, 240º and 480º
• Forged aluminium pistons and direct-plated cylinders
• Newly-designed 6-speed transmission with compact clutch
• Yamaha D-mode switchable mapping

Yamaha’s vice-president sales and marketing (and a former boss of Yamaha UK) Andy Smith spoke exclusively to MCN to explain just what is going on, why the MT-09 is so exciting… and why Yamaha doesn’t mind if you don’t like it.

Smith said: “Some people may not like this bike, some people may not get it, may not get what we are doing with this bike but we are willing to accept the risk that some people don’t like it because we think that is better than the current situation where 100% of people think we make nice bikes but don’t buy them.”

What Yamaha wants is to take a slice of the large European market for naked bikes dominated by the European manufacturers. If you want a clear idea of the sort of bikes Yamaha has in mind then think Ducati Monster, Triumph Speed Triple, BMW F800 and even the KTM 990 Super Duke.

Smith added: “Yamaha used to lead the market in lots of different categories and areas and we want to get that back. The MT-09 is the dawn of a new era for Yamaha and over the next five years everyone will see we are serious about motorcycles and we are going to reverse the fact we haven’t been as focussed on markets like Europe as we should have been.”

Pick up the Wednesday 12 June issue of Motor Cycle News to get the full inside story, interviews, and analysis on the new MT-09.

spread1.jpg

Tech Specs
Engine: Liquid-cooled, 120-degree, 847cc (78 x 59.1mm), inline triple, 12v, 6 gears, chain drive.
Claimed power: 115bhp @ 10,500rpm
Claimed torque: 62ftlb @ 8500rpm
Chassis: Aluminium die-cast sectional frame, aluminium die-cast asymmetrical double-sided swingarm
Suspension: Front: Inverted 41mm fork, rebound adjustable Rear: Link type monocross with horizontal shock, rebound & preload adjustable
Claimed kerb weight: 188kg
Brakes: Front: 2 x 298mm front discs with radial mounted 4-piston
calipers. Rear: 245mm rear disc with
pin-slide caliper
Front tyre: 120/70 R17
Rear tyre: 180/55 R17
Fuel capacity: 14 litres

Now I really want one! I wonder how long its would take me to save £6799 in twenty pence pieces and how heavy that would be ?

• Like 1

I honestly think id prefer the Triumph street triple. Not a bad looking bike though that mt.

Nice, but the US version, the FZ-09 is slightly nicer (and has a 'proper'name). I read a piece about it yesterday. Made for interesting reading if you care about the little things http://www.visordown.com/features/mt-09-or-fz-09-you-decide/22859.html

Just walked back from dropping my mini off for its MOT and a chap came out the yammy shop on one of these, its so quite he stalled it 4 times. I couldnt hear it that well n I was only across the road from it.

Not sure if thats a good thing or not? Still very sexy tho

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online