engine change

muffdiver
This post is 3969 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Whether right or wrong i recently acquired another engine for my 650 draggy, i have no history or any knowledge about the running condition of said engine, having looked at it though i would have to say that it has been removed from an American import, so 1 of my questions is can i convert it from American spec to the british spec?

Another question is what other than road surface can cause my old draggy to vibrate. I'm about its 7th keeper and when i got it, it had and of course still has a somewhat noisy 5th gear, now i am or at least can be quite mechanically minded and handy with a spanner but have been told that changing out the gearing just wasnt worth the time effort or cost involved (hence the above engine)

If anybody can help i would be really grateful.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

What can cause a bike to vibrate.... how long have you got.

Your talking just about anything not as it should be. Engine and wheels are obvious but harmonics plays a big part on bikes too.

As to us and uk just use your carbs and electrics. Job done.

As to us and uk just use your carbs and electrics. Job done.

The reason i asked is that there is a couple of extra pipes coming off the engine that i took as being breather pipes that are not on my engine.

As for the vibrations i wondered if maybe the UJ on the drive shaft or even from the gearbox, the 5th gear finally giving up the ghost perhaps

I suppose that a newer engine might have some mods on it that your ones does not, that might explain the pipe thingy's, as Cynic says carb and electrics should be the same, I rewired my XJ a few years ago and could only find a US loom, I had to cut off loads of 2 way connectors and solder on 3 ways to the lights and such but the engine connectors were the same, it appears that American riders are incapable of turning their own lights on as theirs come on when you turn the ign key, perhaps they can't reach the key past their belly? (WAIT FOR IT-- loads of abuse now arriving from over the pond) :jossun:

The americans tend to have tighter emissions controls, you'll probably find that most of the extra pipes go back to the airbox to re-use engine vapours or exhaust air

get your old and new engines side by side and see where those pipes are coming from, if they are coming from a panel that you can swap with the old engine then swap the panels over, if they are tapped into the case id suggest looking at some pictures of the US version and trying to pinpoint where those pipes go

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online