Starter motor stays engaged

plimb
This post is 3925 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My starter motor sometimes stays engaged,

I was told it could be the idle gear sticking,So i took the starter motor out and had a look at the gear through the hole where the motor fits.

I moved the gear with my finger and found there was sideways movement about 0.25mm from one side to the other.

Is this ok or does the idle gear or bearings need replacing . :eusa_think:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

What does it say in the manual? Check there first. :jossun:

Sure the starter switch isn't sticking?

Found out it could be the starter clutch or starter bendix so i got a clutch repair kit i will have a go at that soon.

Cannot find a starter bendix though so i will start with the clutch first.

So 0.25mm, right? a quarter of a millimetre movement, the sort of thing I'd only detect by feel with the appropriate tools in a pin-cylinder lock... and you go and buy a starter clutch kit to get ripping that apart, on the basis that it *could* be the problem??!!

Only known starter clutches go in 1100 Drags, rather than 535s.

Just hope you're right, otherwise this could get expensive.

"Always check/replace the cheapest parts first"

That's why I asked about the starter switch. Cruisers gather dirt and crap like nothing else, including inside the control clusters. Just about every workhorse's switches stick if you don't clean them out enough.

Found out it does'nt have a starter bendix.

It has a starter clutch and the repair kit and all the bits and pieces cost less than £90.

I took the starter clutch off and the three allen bolts had worked loose and one had the head worn down.

so i will put in a new starter clutch kit in and new allen bolts should do the trick. :hyper:

Result Plimb, always nice to have a fault almost fall out in front of you, looks like a job well done.

• 2 weeks later...

The symtoms of my starter clutch problem.

When the starter motor was turned on there was a ratteling noise when the motor was engaged,then it got to a point when the starter motor would engage while the bike was being ridden Sound famillier to anyone.

Tuned out to be the 3 allen bolts that hold the clutch to the magneto had worked loose,

Cheapest fix is strip it down first, if it is just the bolts take them to a good shop that sells high tensile bolts.

I paid 80 pence for the three bolts,some yam dealers are charging over £8.00 for the same.

If you think the clutch parts are worn you can get a clutch repair kit off ebay Easy peasy to to put the parts into the clutch housing.

But first you will have to remove the magneto it bolts to the back of it.

A Haynes manual is priceless for all the info you need, but you will need a high strength locktite to put on the allen bolts and you will have to use a punch to stake the ends of the bolts over after you torque the bolts up.

There are also some good videos on youtube that will help aswell. I hope this helps some one. :hyper:

Tuned out to be the 3 allen bolts that hold the clutch to the magneto had worked loose,

Same happened to a Z1000 i had, :eusa_doh: the rummbling noise sounded like crank bearings, i used thread lock on screws. :yeah:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online