xvs1300 tyre choice

eggar
This post is 3930 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Getting ready for a rear tyre change, i have run the dunlop k555 but now looking at the bridgestone, i would appreciate comments from xvs1300 owners who have run the bridgestone and what they thought of it (mileage etc) and has anyone run a dunlop on the front and bridgestone on the rear mix. thanks

PS. thankfully tyres are plentful now than they were 18 months or so ago and cheaper

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have a Bridgestone on the rear of my 1300 its just coming up to 8500 miles and has 2mm left .As for them being plentiful it took my local dealer five weeks to get one Bridgestone bring them into the country in small batches so order it sooner rather than later. Ive heard good reports on the Michelin commander might be worth checking them out, as for mixing tyres my advice is don't

I only managed 6700 miles from the rear Bridgestone. I was keen to try the new Avon Cobra that came out just as I got rid (sob) of my 1300. That's a radial tyre which all the US lot rave about and it's ok to use with the stock front.

Just remember you need to use the correct sizes for insurance purposes unlike those lucky Americans

My first dunlop did 10,500 miles, my 2nd one has 2mm left at 6,500 miles and because of the nightmare trying to get a tyre last time i'm going to get one now, just need to make my mind up which one( will look into the avon) so far most dealers have the sizes in and cheapest so far is £146 for the dunlop and £134 for a bridgestone. i paid £175 last time when they were rarer than chicken teeth!!! thanks for the replys, cheers

Good luck! I badgered all the tyre makers to make ones for our size (the 950 has the same size tyres) and Avon were the only ones to do one...

• 4 weeks later...

my bike came with the bridgestone exedra from new, got 7000 miles out of that, then I put a Dunlop in, cant remember what make though, summat like a d406 ? , I think it was made for the valkyrie, as I was struggling to get ANY rear tyre at that time and it was all that was available ... that was worse ...6000 miles, I now have avon cobras front and rear, the rear is 180/65/16 (as recommended by avon, they don't make our bikes original rear size)), and I like the tyre,... paid 150 quid for the rear, 103 for the front, front is white wall, rear I painted white wall,

with hindsight I wish id took a closer look at the Michelin commander, by all accounts that tyre lasts an awful long time, and ive personally never known a Michelin that didn't have grip (but its expensive)...So far ive done 1300 miles on the avons, with no discernible sign of wear, time will tell.

so, for a while I had the radial Dunlop in the back with a bias belted bridgestone in the front, I couldn't tell any difference even when dragging the boards, having a radial front with a bias in the back is a no no, but if you have a radial rear you can have what you like in the front, that's what I was told and it passed its first mot with that combination, I defy any average road rider to even notice anyway.

that's my tyre history and thoughts anyway ...lol

I was looking at a different size and make for the rear but to keep things right i checked with my insurance company first, they classed it as a modification and wanted to up my premium by 50% and if i didn't tell them of the change my insurance could be void in the event of an accident so i played safe and got the oem rear tyre again.

Avon DO make the rear size for the XVS1300, they just have never updated their website. The correct size is located on the XVS950 page as they have the same rear tyre size 170/70R-16 75H found here http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorbike/xvs-v-star-950-midnight-star-tourer

I contacted my insurance and Metzler about fitting a 180/80 (as recommended by US Metzler) but neither were having it in the UK due to different regs...?!?

Avon DO make the rear size for the XVS1300, they just have never updated their website. The correct size is located on the XVS950 page as they have the same rear tyre size 170/70R-16 75H found here http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorbike/xvs-v-star-950-midnight-star-tourer

I contacted my insurance and Metzler about fitting a 180/80 (as recommended by US Metzler) but neither were having it in the UK due to different regs...?!?

thanks graham, I stand corrected...i'll probably go back to a 170 next time, just to make things right, I never contacted insurance, the rest of the bike is so non standard any way I didn't see the point in hearing the inevitable from them. The fact that my rear tyre is the recommended fitment by a leading UK tyre manufacturer is my only defence...

No idea myself, but I always ran Avon Venoms on the 650 Drag. I could expect 19,000 miles as an absolute minimum, assuming I ride like a cock and demanded far more than was reasonable of the poor thing.

Got Avons on the FJ now, too!!

I'd personally suggest the Cobra set, if you can find them, as I like the all-weather grip and high mileage that Avon always seem to deliver.

• 2 weeks later...

Cant vouch for tyres on the xvs1300 but Ive had tyres from every main manufacturer, Conti, Michelin, Bridgestone, Maxis but for value and performance (+ theyre British) I go for Avons. Avon Storms have good grip, I take my warrior right to the edge of the tread where the logo is moulded into the tread pattern and Im heavy on the throttle but they still did 500more miles than the bridgestone 020's. Ive had Avon venoms and also a set on my old gpz which was used through winter every single day and Im still alive so they must be good!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online