A possibly a stupid question

goober
This post is 6657 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

Got a question that's probably dumb but I've got to ask. I've owned various Yams over the years and every single one of them has had the fairing screws reduced to junk after a bit of winter weather. Since I ride all year round can anyone recommend any good replacements?

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Stainless the way to go mate..

I found a bloke on ebay and bought

a mix of 200 bolts,washers and nuts..

I had deep socket heads but also did

pan heads and there where £20ish..

Cheap as chips..

Quick warning though. Do not replace the ones holding the screen to the fairing. They should be made of plastic plastic and are designed to shear as your body passes through the screen.

Doesn't really make sense because you are then doubtlessly going to hit something much harder.

Last time I did it I ripped 6" of skin between my torso and pelvis with the clutch lever (called a laparotomy apparently). Pity you can't hold the handlebars on with plastic bolts..

Quick warning though. Do not replace the ones holding the screen to the fairing. They should be made of plastic plastic and are designed to shear as your body passes through the screen.

Doesn't really make sense because you are then doubtlessly going to hit something much harder.

Last time I did it I ripped 6" of skin between my torso and pelvis with the clutch lever (called a laparotomy apparently). Pity you can't hold the handlebars on with plastic bolts..

OUCH! :o:o

• 1 month later...

yes like he said OUCH :blink:

Another warning:

Yousing V2A-screws on the engine in aluminium screw threads could result in tight screws, this means after a time loosing the screws will kill the aluminium screw thread....

happens to me on an old CB550, where i replaced the soft cross slot srews. One year later i killed nearly all screw threads on this engine, just be loosen the screws...

Leon

• Admin

Yep be careful with the engine casing or you will have to play with a helicoil set one weekend! :blink:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online