Chain Noise

highlanderSD
This post is 3960 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone. got a 2000 R1. had a loose chain for bout 500 miles. finally tighten it up, now it sounds like i have a bad guide or something. maybe just my chain is bad. i lube it regularly. but it sounds like the chain is dragging against metal or a really bad guide.

any thoughts would be great i want a new chain but they dont give them away. thanks for the thouhts.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

are you sure you have not overtightened it , always check with some weight on the seat , really needs 2 people one to sit on the bike and hold it up compressing the suspension and another to check the chain

Hi everyone. got a 2000 R1. had a loose chain for bout 500 miles. finally tighten it up, now it sounds like i have a bad guide or something. maybe just my chain is bad. i lube it regularly. but it sounds like the chain is dragging against metal or a really bad guide.

any thoughts would be great i want a new chain but they dont give them away. thanks for the thouhts.

No, they dont give them away, but if youre chains shagged, then you need to get one ASAP because failure can have you off, vital drive component. Also slack chain can shag your sprockets so you need to check them too

Get into the habit of weekly maintenance checks

Get a hold of the chain in the middle of the rear sprocket and if you can pull it off the sprocket its knackered, as for the noise I'm not familiar with R1's but generally there is a rubber chain guide that fits over the swingarm pivot area where the chain runs and these can wear through and damage to the swingarm & chain.

If you think a chain is expensive if it snaps and cracks the engine cases you'll think differently.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online