YBR Sprocket and chain issue

Smedders
This post is 3966 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there,

I bought a ybr September last year brand new and now my sprocket and chain set is on its way out and i was wondering if that's normal as it started doing it at 4,000 miles. Its currently under warranty so should this have failed so early? Also can anyone suggest any good sets for my bike?

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

That does sound a bit soon but I had a cheap set on mine when I bought it and they only did 4k before I had to replace them. Replaced with a D.I.D heavy duty set and I've done 6k on this set still with a good amount of life left. Would deffo reccomend the DID stuff, its much cheaper than OEM too. Warranty wise its a wearable part so I'll doubt it'll be covered unfortunately, how often did you clean/adjust the chain?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same position, brand new YBR Custom done 3K and I've got 6 ceased links. Improper chain care to blame though. Might have to get a nice DID set and look after this one.

Most neglected part of the bike. I am always surprised when people ask about performance items when stuff like chains get neglected.

If the chain is in poor condition you could loose as much as 10 percent of your rear wheel horsepower or corresponding fuel consumption.

If you have siezed links. Even one. Chain is f@cked, simple as that. That siezed link may snap causing god knows what. At the very least your sprockets, output shaft bearing and wheelbearings are suffering. As well as yourself with high frequency vibration.

For the cost it works out cheaper to bin the chain and sprockets as soon as significant wear is apparent.

No reason not to get 10k from a prop maintained chain. On my old 600 i managed 18k. It was practically falling off the sprockets by then though.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online