The Cursed XT 125 X

Grouch
This post is 3756 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Got a kit off eBay pretty cheap. I'm struggling to get this starter motor off. The problem with the bike is everything is seized solid. As a last resort I might just snap the other lug off, opinions?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Grouch nice to see your trying,you don't need to remove the screw holding the wire on the starter,if you do you wil fuck the starter most likely,just leave it on and drive the starter out from the stator side wire atached the wire is long enough to do this .

You shouldn't have tryed prying on the ear mount of the starter they always snap off if you do,but you can still use it with 1 bolt in for now till it need replacing or have someone weld the ear back on with everything bolted in place.

Bolt everything back together with the old gaskets put the new bolt in the shifter and make sure it's tight to the shaft and they move as 1 piece. don't wory about small oil leaks untill you prove whats wrong is fixed you may end up pulling covers off again. Then when it is fixed put new gaskets in and everything will come off easy the second-third time easy.

Also if your going to replace all the bolts I suggest you find a allen bolt kit and not buy the phillips screws to replace them,or buy hex head bolts.

Post som picts of your shifter where it fits to the shaft so we can see if its striped,most likely it is from use when the bolt was loose

don't snap anything else off, refer to what dt50 told you

Tommy is right don't just snap stuff of cos your pissed with it, find a way to undo it ask a mate who lives close by to have a look perhaps between you you can find a solution and think of the cost of buying a whole new starter motor against a few hours fiddling around with it, up to you of course but the short answer is "DON'T BE A DICK".

Sounds like plus gas will be your friend here..

Sounds like plus gas will be your friend here..

fuck no!! have you seen how much damage he can do with just a screwdriver

• Like 1

Even Grouch can't F**K up a tin of plus gas --- can he????

Sory grouch for not gettin back sooner,started a new job,take a piece of hard wood ( broom handel ect?) and a hammer and put the wood on the oppsite end of the starter from the broken ear,,, ie the way you want it to go out and drive it out ,but dont just hit in the same spot,go top bottom side to sid where ever you can It will pop right out with a couple of hits.

Also if you still have the wrong cover off you can tap on the drive gear of the starter but DO NOT HAMMER THE CRAP or again you will duck your starter

Also if you need to change the starter in the future just cut the wire and put a new terminal end on the wire and a new bolt MUCH easier than pissing with a rusted bolt.

OK Grouch where are you??? What the !!!! is happening? Have you got the sodding thing apart yet? There is not another post on here so assume you are either under the bike fixing it or standing around with your thumb up your arse. What news do you have on your bike mate????????????? :sigh2:

Alien abduction gotta be, the're probably do medical research on him

hope the're not probing for technical info!!

• Like 2

AHH so NOT a thumb up his arse then?

• Like 1

Hellooooooooooo Grouchooooooooooooo ,there's an echo in here!! Where the hell are you with the bike? have you fixed it yet (don't be daft) how are you getting on with the dismantling of the bike? What news from West Yorkshire? Perhaps your still being probed by Tommy's aliens!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys, I'm still here the truth is after spending a weekend trying to get it sorted I failed and then gave up. Then today I got the urge again and spent all afternoon trying to sort it and failed again. It looks like I'm going tro have to take it to a garage.

I really think it is just the spring that has come loose inside, but seen as I am unable to even diagnose the problem I don't know.

A garage said they will look at it for about £70.

I wish I had just done this in the first place.

OHHH MYYY GOD!

He is alive!!!! :hyper:

Feeling for you mate, my bikes all fucked up too- fucking xt's lol

Well glad your still alive,,just hope they don't rip you off,you should have just kept asking questions now your trying I would have been there every step of the way If possible. We could hav set up a skype and watched or something. Hope you haven't broken to many things attempting this.

Just out of curriousity what couldn't you get open/done.

Glad your back ,sorry for dumping on you for not trying,guess some people are just better off leaving it to others to sort things

No the tough encouragement was good, I needed it, but I'm just not that good at mechanics (yet). I am going to sort my XT because seriously what else can go wrong. it has been practically rebuilt.

I fancy a WR 125 x.