The Cursed XT 125 X

Grouch
This post is 3776 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

grouch you'll also need to put the bolts/screws back in on clutch cover side so you don't spring a leek

Cheers for that, because I took the wrong side off and broke the gasket, will it be ok to start?

not sure on that one mate- i would say it's too risky. wait for one of the 'elders' to clear that one up- just encase

if you still have to take the clutch cover off! do you own an impact driver or has your mate got one ? its a special screwdriver that you hit with a lump hammer, it turns the screw when you hit it. I think your problem getting cover off could be down to using low quality or worn tools if head is damaged you may have to try and hacksaw a slit in top of screw, advise getting hold of an impact driver and make sure its set to turn anticlockwise when you hit it, this is done by holding it at both ends compressing it together and twisting then push down on handle to see which way its turning if its turning wrong way compress and twist other way

once you tighten the gear lever on if all is ok you should be able to test without starting up, just pull the clutch in and select the gears

it may help to sit astride the bike and rock it gently forth & back while selecting through the gears

No I don't have an impact driver but I'm going to need one so ill buy one. Every nut, bolt, and screw needs replacing.

I hope it is just the bolt but you did also mention a rattling noise from clutch area ?

No I don't have an impact driver but I'm going to need one so ill buy one. Every nut, bolt, and screw needs replacing.

impact driver one of the first tools I bought when I first got into bikes, very worth while investment still have my original one from 1981

don't know how do a link to ebay but if you type in Impact Hand Driver Screwdriver 1/2" 13 Piece Metal And Case Hilka 11670013 you'll see what your looking for

When you said you heard a noise from the clutch area was this before or after you knew the clutch wasnt the stator? Im not sure its the clutch as you say its only a couple of gears playing up.

Could be wrong Grouch, but isn't the stator (as Ryan said, not starter motor as your saying) the first part you took off your bike (on the wrong side)? Think it's in one of your photos, it has all the coils.

In your first post you said you heard a rattling sound coming from your clutch, yet you went to the wrong side of your bike. As a result, I believe Ryan is asking you whether you took that side off because that's where you heard the noise?

I'm with Bippo on this (as always she talks sense) if the noise was coming from the side you took off then start there, DO NOT keep taking stuff off just cos we think you should, think about it!! was it the side you have off making the noise if so then give it a proper going over before you whip the other side off. Look for metal shavings rub marks or burnt areas any wear on the bearings (do they rock up and down?) Go through the side you have off before you dive in to something else, that is a road to disaster. Good luck keep plugging away mate.

You need both sides off. The noise may well be in the stator area but the gear linkage is on the right.

I think he's heard a noise from the motor! its not why he chose the wrong side, he's done that because that's the side of the gear change so in his mind that's where the clutch was, must have had the haynes manual upside down, he been looking at it for a month

Grouch nice to see your trying,you don't need to remove the screw holding the wire on the starter,if you do you wil fuck the starter most likely,just leave it on and drive the starter out from the stator side wire atached the wire is long enough to do this .

You shouldn't have tryed prying on the ear mount of the starter they always snap off if you do,but you can still use it with 1 bolt in for now till it need replacing or have someone weld the ear back on with everything bolted in place.

Bolt everything back together with the old gaskets put the new bolt in the shifter and make sure it's tight to the shaft and they move as 1 piece. don't wory about small oil leaks untill you prove whats wrong is fixed you may end up pulling covers off again. Then when it is fixed put new gaskets in and everything will come off easy the second-third time easy.

Also if your going to replace all the bolts I suggest you find a allen bolt kit and not buy the phillips screws to replace them,or buy hex head bolts.

Post som picts of your shifter where it fits to the shaft so we can see if its striped,most likely it is from use when the bolt was loose

Could be wrong Grouch, but isn't the stator (as Ryan said, not starter motor as your saying) the first part you took off your bike (on the wrong side)? Think it's in one of your photos, it has all the coils.In your first post you said you heard a rattling sound coming from your clutch, yet you went to the wrong side of your bike. As a result, I believe Ryan is asking you whether you took that side off because that's where you heard the noise?

Ooooh right, sorry my mistake. No I took that side off because I thought I needed too, but it was the wrong side. I don't have a clue what I'm doing so I did it by accident.

Grouch nice to see your trying,you don't need to remove the screw holding the wire on the starter,if you do you wil fuck the starter most likely,just leave it on and drive the starter out from the stator side wire atached the wire is long enough to do this .

You shouldn't have tryed prying on the ear mount of the starter they always snap off if you do,but you can still use it with 1 bolt in for now till it need replacing or have someone weld the ear back on with everything bolted in place.

Bolt everything back together with the old gaskets put the new bolt in the shifter and make sure it's tight to the shaft and they move as 1 piece. don't wory about small oil leaks untill you prove whats wrong is fixed you may end up pulling covers off again. Then when it is fixed put new gaskets in and everything will come off easy the second-third time easy.

Also if your going to replace all the bolts I suggest you find a allen bolt kit and not buy the phillips screws to replace them,or buy hex head bolts.

Post som picts of your shifter where it fits to the shaft so we can see if its striped,most likely it is from use when the bolt was loose

Cheers for that, it's a good job I didn't succeed in removing the screw. It's difficult to get the starter off, any suggested techniques/methods?

Went to the bike shop today and there has been a delay on all Yamaha orders, apparently they were held up in Holland.

Ooooh right, sorry my mistake. No I took that side off because I thought I needed too, but it was the wrong side. I don't have a clue what I'm doing so I did it by accident.

No it's alright matey, I just wanted to clarify Ryan's point that's all.

• Like 1

Thanks for clearing that up Bippo, i probably wasnt clear enough. I wasnt having a dig or anything Grouch or under estimating you. Just had a thought thats all in case you started delving into stuff that didnt need touching.

• Like 1

Thanks for clearing that up Bippo, i probably wasnt clear enough. I wasnt having a dig or anything Grouch or under estimating you. Just had a thought thats all in case you started delving into stuff that didnt need touching.

Sorry mate my fault, I know you wasn't having a go, I just thought wtf is he on about? Lol!

dt50s spot on about the allen bolt kit, well worth the investment and will make working on it in future a lot easier try ebay about £20

I think