The Cursed XT 125 X

Grouch
This post is 3755 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

As you all know I have had problem after problem with my XT from the day 1. From minor to major and everything in between. I have spent close to £2k in parts and labour since buying her just over a year ago. The latest problem is the clutch. I can only get 2nd and 3rd gear and there is a rattling sound coming from the clutch area of the bike. Now as you have probably guessed I am not the most gifted person when it comes to the mechanical side of bikes, but I intend to try and sort this problem out myself. I am going to begin by opening the clutch cover and having a look so I can compare and consult with my Haynes. The bike sold on eBay for £605 and I was really tempted to let her go but just couldn't. It generated loads of interest but I would be silly selling her now after all the money I have spent. Once this problem is sorted the bike will more or less have been rebuilt. The last thing I want to do is give in (again) and go to the garage.

So please bare with me and be patient!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

its bound to be something simple bud, be carefull not to tear the gasket when you take your clutch cover off as this will add extra cost, and lean the bike onto its opposite side as much as possible to minimise the oil loss when you take the cover off. :)

like i said before, if you need more help why not hold an event over a weekend, im sure there are plenty of YOC members willing to ride up and help, probably many more if there are bacon baps involved,

No I couldn't do it, £605 was a good price but even if I got a grand I would be losing out big time, and yes they are the same engines.

Foamy it says to drain the oil completely in the manual.

Good luck Grouchy - sure people on here will be more than happy to help you out.

I can't do much in the way of helping, but would be up for heading to Bradford on a weekend with some of the others on here.

Good luck Grouchy - sure people on here will be more than happy to help you out.

I can't do much in the way of helping, but would be up for heading to Bradford on a weekend with some of the others on here.

I'm away this weekend but any weekend after that I'm up for it mate, but like foamy say's it's got to be a bacon bap

2nd & 3rd,, :eusa_think: Thats strange, have you checked the gear linkage for tightness & wear, . i had this problem on Sunday, after riding home from Blackpool. was hitting false neutrals, and had to double shift with foot to find gears, turns out the linkage was loose,, :eusa_eh:

OH FFS Grouch. :shakeno:

There is no external linkage. The gear pedal goes straight onto the shaft.

I would guess that the first port of call is the gear selector area inside the clutch cover.

Cover off and see what you can see.

If nothing is apparent, you will need to take the clutch off and have a proper look. Sections 5-47 to 5-49 apply in the SR PDF manual - which I know you now have.

With a bit of luck, something here has broken or come adrift. If this is the case, there is no need to split the engine.

That is your starter for 10.

is it just the clutch grouch it only cost £50-£60 for new plates and springs + gasket and oil change

bust out the touque wrench as well

ive changed mine twice now and probably needs doing again soon

so if ya need pointers

or not to far away I could give you a hand

HELLO!!! is anyone there? What's happening Grouch we are all waiting for the day when you have this thing fixed and running again. Been ages since you last said anything about how it's going, have you taken a hammer to it in frustration? :jossun:

• Like 1