The Cursed XT 125 X

Grouch
This post is 3755 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Yeh grouch"o . it wont be much, a spring or the little catch that stops the drum ,between gear selection,, am shure,,, :yeah:

Good to see you back mate,,,, :wavey:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Good luck with it Grouchy, i know how you feel tho, i really want to get back on two wheels.

Welcome back too

Welcome back - just make sure it's fixed for next years Squires meet...!!

Hope it doesn't turn out to be too expensive.

Thanks guys. Well she has been taken away. Just looked at insurance and its cheaper than before as well £217 for the year so thats not bad.

Always an up side Grouch, nice to see your looking at the sunny side of things, you have been missed mate. :jossun::eusa_doh:

Hi all, my xt had similar ratling sound when on second gear, I took the right side engine cover where the oil filter is and discovered small metal bits which indicated that something is wery wrong so last Wednesday I removed the engine for surgery,I am currently at the point where everything is off apart the flywheel for which to remove I need to get flywheel puller to take it off and than separate the crakcases. Will put some photos later. One thing I learned it is very time consuming, first because some bolts are nightmare to losen, second you will most likely find something unrelated to the cause of engine disasembly like in my case cam chain guide(flywheel side) half melted and looked living its last days. Grouch I hope you wont need to get that far and in your case it will be simple gear change mechanism.

Well just phoned the garage and guess what the problem was. I can't believe it after all this time and shit I've gone through, it turns out the end of the gear lever shaft has snapped off, a piece about 5x5mm. An easy cheapish fix just waiting on the part from Yamaha. The problem is the bit that snapped off could be still inside my gear mechanism and to get it out it would cost hundreds to strip it down.

I'm really happy I'll be back on the road soon. Just a shame I left it this long, I just got sick of all the bad luck and money it was costing me.

YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!! We got Grouch back :shakeno::shakeno::hyper::hyper::crazy::crazy::eusa_clap::eusa_clap::wank4az::wank4az:

Glad all (should) be ok mate. :spin2:

Next time dont be such a lady and get on ya knees and take a proper look ha ha.

I couldn't get the starter motor off. Just basic maintenance for me from now on. If I'd of just gone with my gut feeling and took it to the garage in the first place poor old Victoria wouldn't have been stood rotting in my garden since May. A summer wasted ffs.

Know what your saying mate, if only i done an oil and filter change i wouldn't have had to re build my motor and saved my self £2k lol and it was actually a really nice summer too!

Have you got a Haynes book for your bike to help with maintenance?

Yeah one of the first things I bought when I got it. I'm going to spend an hour or so every Sunday checking and cleaning my bike. I suppose in time I will learn more and more. To be fair I have managed to do quite a bit myself.

Er yes we remember when you were learning!!! Still we all have to start somewhere mate and you only make those mistakes once hopefully. Nice to hear that your mobile again and if you keep up the tinkering with your bike you will soon have it well sussed. :jossun:

Hey groucho your not the first or last person who gave up because they didn't know what they're doing.,not everyone has gear head mentality.,most try to force thing that shouldn't be forced and when things start breaking it gets discouraging.

Mainly becasue the manuals only say things like "remove this that and the other" without any futher comments about how to remove it when it's been in ther for years.Ever notice the bikes in manuals are all brand new so of course they will just slide appart.

Most think that you just grab the tools and undoo things and they just come appart,unfortunatly that is rarely the case,and it takes years of learning to know how and when to pry or bang without breaking things.

Hopefully this is the end of your problems for a while,shame you left it till now and missed the summer.

Good news grouch"o, if its the gear shaft thats snapped , its easy , as it passes thru the cases, with the pawl on one side,

only side case removal. and clutch, to access ... :thumb:

$(KGrHqV,!i8E6Qeg5tU0BOuFPuZBR!~~60_58.J

I just hope it doesn't piss it down every day like it did last year. It got to the point where I had just had enough of all the repairs and the cost. I would fix one problem then another would instantly appear. I have practically rebuilt the bike and it has cost me close to if not more than £2k. Nothing much else can go wrong now surely.

Now I have my mind focussed back on getting a 2T. When I buy it though I wont be making the same mistakes as I did when I bought the XT. I bought it without even doing the basic checks like checking the tyres. I just wanted a bike and rushed into it. I won't be doing that again, in fact I will probably pay a few hundred over the odds and go to a dealers to buy one.

Good news grouch"o, if its the gear shaft thats snapped , its easy , as it passes thru the cases, with the pawl on one side,

only side case removal. and clutch, to access ... :thumb:

$(KGrHqV,!i8E6Qeg5tU0BOuFPuZBR!~~60_58.J

:hyper: Just waiting for the part to be delivered by Yamaha, apparrantley the garage has 3 Yams waiting on parts and it is taking a while.

hey Grouch , dont wory about that broken bit inside,may be it is already out with the old oil, if in doubt get magnetic sump plug and a litre or two oil to drain. You can ask your garage to do it before you sit on your bike shifting gears on the way home.

Hi Feronious,

I already use a magnetic sump plug and I gave the garage a brand new one to use. I hope it has come out with the oil. The guy at the garage said it will only be about 5x5 mm.