project F.U.C.R

wild foamy
This post is 3072 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well after some theiving little shitbag decided to nick the battery and headlight (which i never even got a chance to use!) i felt a little bit pissed off and lost what little enthusiasm i had left.

then i spotted a cafe racer fairing for sale on eBay... 99p... oh go on then, id had a few drinkies by this point, low and behold i won it.

next was a chromed 7" headlight off an XS250, aswell as an old kawasaki Z250 tail unit from a facebook group, so hopefully after this weekend all my parts will have arrived and i can start piecing it back together again.

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Rear fairing has arrived, its alright i spose, but its far too angular for what i want, it will suffice for now but i will likely chop and change it before remoulding in fibreglass.

the first headlight i bought arrived in several bits with the glass being smashed, the second headlight was intact, the rickman fairing i will have to collect from norfolk (4 hours away!) but its all slowly coming together.

tank and mudguards are getting painted during the week, gonna need to strip them carbs again as it dumps fuel from the choke jet into the throttle bodies on the rear cylinder when the throttle is opened :eusa_think:

not at the moment, im without a phone after i cracked the screen on mine, will have to get my SLR out when im back on base. making the trip to norfolk next weekend to pick up the fairing.

its looking more and more like the Turbo and DT will be up for sale at the end of next year, need to scrape together a deposit for my own place when i leave the mob.

• 4 months later...

Well now I'm back in the country for a while I decided to drag the FUCR out from the car park and do something to it.

I've cut the old lugs off the frame and rerouted the loom to where I want it.

The battery is now going back in its original place on the left hand side behind the engine, the regulator will be on the right partly protruding past the side panel.

The tank is rusty in the bottom corners and leaks, still undecided whether to keep it or bin it and find another tank that will fit over the twin frame rails and still allow me enough room to run air scoops into a smaller airbox on top of the carbs.

The tail unit is from a Z250, the rear lights just happened to appear on ebay.

It's slow progres, I lost a lot of enthusiasm after some c*nt started robbing bits off it.

DSC_0592_zpsaso77gnv.jpgDSC_0593_zpsjwbw4fht.jpgDSC_0594_zpsbd7oqy5l.jpg

Yer i agree with drew, im an expert with fuel tanks haha.

Would a bandit tank not fit?

• Like 1

Not tried a bandit tank, I know the Kwak zephyr has twin frame rails aswell, so that may be a solution.

Turns out that tank is fucked anyway, I started stripping off the multiple layers of paint (and filler) only to find the corners are rotten.

Got myself some new brackets to hold the seat/tailpiece on and just need to stitch them to the frame now that it's in a position where I'm happy with it.

It's all slowly coming together :) wheels are coming off at the weekend to have a refresh and new rubber, battery is on order and I have some Z250 side panels that will need cutting down, really torn between painting it gloss black with silver pinstriping or just going flat NATO green

hey foams why not post pic without the tank and some measurements someone on here may then be able to give you an idea of what might fit or maybe even have a tank for you.

I'm still trying to find a set of top yokes that match these dimensions, the XS400 ones fall about 10mm short of the stem.

DSC_0363_zpsrvp1d9g8.jpgWill post a pic without tank tomorrow, too dam dark and cold out there now.

You could cut the tank down Foams, chop the back off to shorten it and that would get rid of some of the rot in it. Then you could get at the inside and fix the holes, 2 for 1 if you do that. I have an old XJ tank in the garage needs paint but clean with no rust.

Hey foams, I messaged you ;)

I have an XJ tank in the loft exterior's good but the inside needs de-rusting and poss lining

Sorry drew only just seen your message.

I'm going to look into the zephyr tank and see if it would fit over the rails, iirc my pre-diversion XJ had a single frame rails so not sure if the tank will fit :/

foams can you post width/ depth of well on that tank as it look very similar to my xs400 and if Drews xj tank looks good on mine I'll have one spare,

the xs is single span backbone but does look wide if I get a chance this weekend I'll take some pics and measurements

• 7 months later...

FUCR is now in my garage in the dry, done some little bits to it such as new tyres, driveshaft oil change and a bit of paint, front brake and cylinder are off and suffice to say the piston is corroded pretty bad so will likely be spinning up a stainless one.

tank repair is hopefully going to get done in the next few weeks, new tabs for the rear cowl... It's still a long way off, I'm trying to do a little job every day to keep me at it.