The Leviathan Project (DT125RE)

Calum122
This post is 2866 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So you bought the one off ebay Calum, does it make a difference?, Ive just bought your most hated pipe for mine lol should of said you were getting the pipe I would of releaved you of your dep :eusa_whistle:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Got my barrel back today.

I'm not overly impressed but he's still done a cracking job.

D5F9C61C-063D-4E29-B669-92CA308FF71A_zps

57EBD59B-EC9B-4362-A5DC-045A183A21BB_zps

89FE6C4B-2EB0-449A-AF2C-95EF69187290_zps

417C7B54-0485-4A42-A5ED-546B1B1AE3EA_zps

89FE6C4B-2EB0-449A-AF2C-95EF69187290_zps

EAE66A10-ED72-44EE-A244-A8E21BE0B2AB_zps

I don't think it's much different from standard. Here's the two comparisons.

D73FCD9C-BEA8-48E3-A1E2-6C61438ED21F_zps

Also he filed down the Powervalve too much and has exposed the dowel. Yay! Now I've got to sort it out....

746E2C18-381E-4D71-A946-6F6B42546F1A_zps

• 1 month later...

Engine transplant successful. There were quite a few issues I had. But it all seems to be legit.

8C6FE3C5-9B58-4210-A761-F888ECB94BDA_zps

Difference in carbs:

7B0E936B-4E0A-4B97-A498-0B2D9889AFDA_zps

It took me about a week to do this properly:

• I've needed to swap out the fly wheel
  • Generator
  • The 4DL inlet had no chance of fitting. So needed to bore out the old DT inlet to compensate for the new blue printed 32mm VHSA
  • Currently running a RAM air filter instead of air box. For jetting purposes this is just a simpler method.

When swapping over the generator I encountered my first problem. Torqued the genny up only to have the crankshaft completely lock up. I double checked the wrench, then the book. Nope Set up correctly but the crankshaft is seized. Sugar. Stripped it off. Had a look for damage. Nothing. All looked good. Checked the wrench. Then the book. Then refitted the fly wheel. Was fine. Not sure what happened there. If anyone knows feel free to let me know.

I then had complete and utter total electrical failure. This left me scratching my head since everything was working perfectly prior to the engine swap. I rode home on it Friday. Well apparently the ignition switch connecting block managed to completely disintegrate. Without me even touching that as part of the engine conversion. So bullet crimps was the only way to have this fixed. She fired into life off the starter motor. She is a quiet one compared to the DT engine. Wtf? Lol. Sorted the tickover and had her idling nicely.

I decided to let my brother take it up the road (in case it seized lol). Naturally it's smoking loads and this is hindering performance by quite a factor. He suggested that I push him and then he'd put it in gear. Yeah did that....nothing happened. Clutch wasn't engaging. Great crack.

Never had this problem before. Scratching my head again. Stripped the clutch cases back down and had another look. Sure to be sure with your own eyes you could see that the clutch is not engaging. No doubt about it. Stripped it to pieces and put it back together and tried again.

And I finally understand what you guys mean. The gearbox is sooooo smooth. It really is lovely. It just needs Powervalve sorting. Cosmetics doing and running in. I took a video of it first starting will upload it soon.

I've ridden it for a few weeks now.

It's okay. It's no where near as torquey or as fast as the Aprilia, which I know some people have claimed! It's not slow by any means. But I'd say maybe no faster than a 170 Athena. But it really is early days yet. There are still a few things left for me to do. I want to sort out the underslung and jet it properly and, of course, run her in.

I'm just happy it's started. I've already started my next DTR engine build.

I'm going down a similar route but this time I'm just swapping out the gearbox for a TZR 4DL gearbox. And I'm going to use a nikasil barrel and have it aggressively ported. I'm going to see if Mick can put in Auxillary exhaust ports like on the TZR SP barrel. Haven't phoned him yet. And I'm going to take my time. Remove all the casting flaws that were found in the 4DL engine that I didn't bother with last time. And dremel the crank case to a polish.

Congrats always nice to see a project come to finnish and work out, did you measure to port heights to see how much the tuner changed the port timeing?

Aww no I didn't. Sorry. I'll remember when it's time for a rebore in like 6 months time. I haven't needed to change any settings on my ignition so far but will do that when the underslung goes on. The seller gave me some ignition maps with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a video of me first firing up the bike. It's done about 300 miles now. Won't be long before I get a GoPro up so you guys can see the difference between Stock and 4DL. Should be interesting....

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Wow, I cannot believe it has been this long since I've been on this forum

So the rear sprocket carrier bearing collapse on me in February 2015. I decided to strip the bike back to the bare metal and od a nut and bolt rebuild.

Well nearly 18 months later...it's still not do. I shouldn't be too surprised I have had a lot on.

But finally got the wheels on today so I can actually wheel it about :D

It shouldn't be too long now, maybe another 12 months....

DSC_0028_zpsfcmaoj3b.jpg

A lot has been done to this bike since I last posted. Too much that I can remember.

The biggest things are frame wheels ands swingarm powdercoated.

As well as a few bits and bobs here and there.

The engine is now back to the stock engine, 4DL sold but kept the ported barrel.

Wow, I cannot believe it has been this long since I've been on this forum

So the rear sprocket carrier bearing collapse on me in February 2015. I decided to strip the bike back to the bare metal and od a nut and bolt rebuild.

Well nearly 18 months later...it's still not do. I shouldn't be too surprised I have had a lot on.

But finally got the wheels on today so I can actually wheel it about :D

It shouldn't be too long now, maybe another 12 months....

DSC_0028_zpsfcmaoj3b.jpg

A lot has been done to this bike since I last posted. Too much that I can remember.

The biggest things are frame wheels ands swingarm powdercoated.

As well as a few bits and bobs here and there.

The engine is now back to the stock engine, 4DL sold but kept the ported barrel.