ebay costs

gizmo666
This post is 3965 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

guys im considering selling my bike

and for the life of me cant understand the ebay jargon

can someone tell me straight

how much does it cost to sell your bike on ebay

and any ebay tips

thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Depends how much you sell it for, my bike was up for £500 reserve and I think it would of cost £16 odd

what do you mean was up! its still up

initial listing fees is what they charge you to put the listing on in the first place, for my SR i advertised it for £375 to start and eBay charged me £13.

final value is what you actually get for it, say for example somebody bids my bike up to £500 and it sells at that price, eBay will want 10% percent of the final value of the bike (the final bid) up to a maximum of £75, so if my bike were to sell for £500, eBay would take £50 plus my initial £13,

robbing bastards if you ask me, but its much easier

...and they insist you go through PayPal* so they get more commission

* although there are ways round this

you get a cost to list your item depends on auction format and pictures, the more you select you find the more you have to pay to list.

you get a final valuation charge

then to top it off paypal want some aswell also royal mail have changed there price structure so you sell something get hammered up the arse off ebay and paypal then royal mail want there cut

ebay used to be a brilliant place to buy stuff cheap but these costs are pushing up the sellers prices.

bastards

ken

I refuse to use royal mail, they lost a laptop i sold and then when i submitted a claims form they lost that aswell!, i wrote them a snotty letter and never heard back from them, so i assume they dont want my custom any more

myHermes or CityLink all the way, not only is it cheaper (i sent a swingarm, carb and shock absorber for about £7, RM would have wanted twice that) but much less hastle, just put your item in a box, stick a label on it and wait for the courier to pick it up, its all tracked aswell so if your buyer says "oh i havent recieved it yet" you can log in online, enter the tracking number and say "well it says its been delivered at 09:15 this morning... check again"

I refuse to use royal mail, they lost a laptop i sold and then when i submitted a claims form they lost that aswell!, i wrote them a snotty letter and never heard back from them, so i assume they dont want my custom any more

myHermes or CityLink all the way, not only is it cheaper (i sent a swingarm, carb and shock absorber for about £7, RM would have wanted twice that) but much less hastle, just put your item in a box, stick a label on it and wait for the courier to pick it up, its all tracked aswell so if your buyer says "oh i havent recieved it yet" you can log in online, enter the tracking number and say "well it says its been delivered at 09:15 this morning... check again"

there's also Parcel Monkey and collectplus, which use your local open all hours shop to drop off parcels. Up to 10pm too.

If you have something big, i just used Uship which is an online auction where couriers bid for the work. there is a charge for that, so make sure its passed on to the recipient.

Myhermes is great for sending stuff. You can take it to the shop or get it collected. Also link it to your eBay account.

Saves all the castle of having to load up all the stuff you've sold, find a space in the hungerford high street and wait in the line at the post office for an hour, even better when I'm at work because I can just leave the boxes in the guardroom for the courier to collect :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online