Chain help please?

ironlung
This post is 3970 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone. I have run into a tiny problem with my Dragstar 125. I was traveling to wor the other morning and the chain came off! No big issue and I got the chain on again but now its hanging loosely. I have been told its an easy fix but I don't know how to do it. I want to do it myself so I can learn how to fix problems like this myself instead of paying a mechanic to do it. I am a complete noobie when it comes to mechanical stuff and is greatly appreciate any help thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Assuming all components are in good condition, you should just need to use the adjusters at the back to get the correct tension.

If they're not, you're in for a replacement job.

Do you know why the chain came off to begin with?

I was accelerateing to make the lights and hit a really bumpy bit of road and I mean bumpy. I assume that the rough ride was the cause along with the fact that the chain probably needed some lube. Where abouts se the adjusters?

Where abouts se the adjusters?

Oh jeezy... Right, I'll keep this simple so forgive me if it sounds patronising...

First, get someone to straddle (NOT sit on) the bike and hold it upright.

Ideally, you'd want to loosen the bolts holding the rear wheel axle in place, but I'll assume you don't have the tools to hand. You'd also need the bike lifted off the ground, but that'll be awkward without a centrestand or a bike jack.

Make sure the chain is straight and securely seated on both sprockets (the cog things with the teeth).

Then look along the swingarms (oblong things out the back, with the rear wheel at the end).

Coming out the back of each swingarm, there will be threaded bolts with two nuts on.

First, you need to loosen the rearmost nut right off (turn anti-clockwise). Use a pair of spanners, or maybe one spanner and some pliers. Hold the inner one tightly in place and turn the outer.

Next, tighten the inner nut a couple of turns (clockwise). As you do, you'll see a little block inside the swingarm move and the wheel will shift backwards a bit.

If you examine the swingarm, there will be little graduation marks, that look something like this: ||||||||

Use those to note how far you move the wheel backward.

Now, be sure you tighten each side equally. Best to only do a couple of turns at a time and then do the other the same amount, rather than many turns on one side.

Continue until your chain has about an inch (2.5cm) of slack at the loosest point. Turn the rear wheel round a bit (roll the bike forward/backward if you have to) and re-check the tension. It may need a little alteration on the adjusters until you get a fairly uniform slack measure.

Once you're happy with the chain slack, tighten up both outer nuts to keep it all in place and you should be good.

Also, see section 6-22 of the Owner's Manual (page 53 of 78), which can be opened in PDF here:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ymenvom.nl%2Fnew%2Fmanuals%2FU5JXE3.PDF&ei=AFySUZb4L8n40gWmpoGICw&usg=AFQjCNGAd7UtLCqtGw4mmhpmxBoX-GkeVw&sig2=CQd1Xq8slM9Hsz5JP3eHfQ

Cheers buddy. Didn't sound patronizing at all. I actually do have the tools for the job I started a motor mechanics course about 12 years ago and an old mechanic gave me a full size snap on tool box filled with tools but then the garage went out of business and I dropped out of tech. I had ago at it earlier with a YouTube vid lesson but I quickley got frustrated as what I was doing didn't seem to make a difference. I'll have another go tomorrow and if I can't gett it ill assume that I need new sprockets and a chain.

Thanks again for taking the time to tell me how to do it and I wouldn't worry about sounding patronizing because I don't now anything about the mechanical side of this so Id be a bit of a Pratt if I thought you where being patronizing while trying to help me do something I don't know how to do but should know how to do :-)

Pleeeeeeez, read the Owners manual and get to know it, as you'll need to know how to check the brake fluid level/engine oil level/rear brake adjustment etc in order to be able to ride safely. Get into the habit of regular (weekly) checks of all these things plus tyres/lights etc. That should enable you to pre-empt possible failures

• Like 1

Yea neversay die sounds like a good idea. I definitely will check it out. Thanks for the heads up

Now you have the manual, most of your basic questions should be covered by it!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online