Confused about details on my Virago... please help!

Ben M
This post is 2540 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone, i'm after a little help...

I bought a Yamaha Virago recently and i'm about to get it ready to go on the road, I was looking at ordering some parts when i came across a slightly confusing issue...

My V5C states that the bike is a Yamaha XVS125 in red, first registered in 2003... but i'm not convinced...

Its on a 2003 plate and when i bought it i ran a check, the reg & vin matched and it said it was not an import.

The other week i was giving it a look over and noticed that it has quite a few japanese stickers on it, didn't really take too much notice as it is a yamaha.

I checked the vin on the bike and found the model sticker (what was left of it) to check i was ordering the right parts.... And thats where the confusion started...

I jumped onto http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/information/parts-catalogue.aspx to create a picking slip, but the vin wasn't going in, decided to do a manual search and couldn't seem to find the right model code or year...

I went back to the bike and checked the sticker on the frame...

It shows the bike as a Yamaha XV125S, not a XVS125 as the log book states, so i'm inclined to beleive whats on the bike.

The vin is 9 digits long starting with 4RF (the log book only shows the 6 digits after this)

All that was left on the model code sticker was 4RF6 010

In the top right of the sticker it has 98/12... Am i correct in assuming that this bike was made in December 1998??

I downloaded the XV125S and the XVS125 handbooks, and looking through them, my tank and clocks are XV125S and it clearly has Virago on the tank.

If the bike was a 2003 non import, wouldn't it have a 17 digit vin?

Looking on the Yamaha-Motor site, these are the model codes for the Dragstars & Viragos

XVS125

# 2000 = 5JX1

# 2001 = 5JX3

# 2002 = 5JX5

# 2004 = 5JX7

XV125S

# 1999 = 5AJB

# 2000 = 5AJF

XV125

# 1998 = 5AJ5

I just cant seem to find anything for 4RF6 except part numbers starting in 4RF, which seem to fit various models.

Anyone got any ideas?

• 3 years later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi...I know this post is a few years old but if anyone else is a bit baffled by the 4RF in the VIN, it is an american number.  The bike was built  by Fayette motorcycle Industries in Ohio.  Unfortunately, they are not on the internet and their FB page is two years out of date so we cant ask them how they made up thier VIN to show model, year etc. as each company had their own process for the numbers, not like the European way.

I hope this helps you in your search.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/04/2017 at 8:38 PM, Melanie said:

Hi...I know this post is a few years old but if anyone else is a bit baffled by the 4RF in the VIN, it is an american number.  The bike was built  by Fayette motorcycle Industries in Ohio.  Unfortunately, they are not on the internet and their FB page is two years out of date so we cant ask them how they made up thier VIN to show model, year etc. as each company had their own process for the numbers, not like the European way.

I hope this helps you in your search.

Hi I'm confused by this, are you saying all 4RF virago engines where made in ohio by Fayette, as mine is a xv125s and was made in Germany or japan

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online