Finally gone to far

Grouch
This post is 3985 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Took the bike up to the garage this morning and the gearbox is shagged. He said by the time they removed and split the engine it would be cheaper to put a new one in. I think this is it now, I'm going to carry on riding the bike until it doesn't work at all and then I am bikeless.

I had some money saved for a 2T but I have just had my hours cut at work so I used most of that to pay off my credit card. Realistically it will be September when I have a few grand for a new bike, could go down the finance route but things are uncertain at work.

On my way home the fucking kickstart fell off ffs.

I could curl up in a ball and start crying.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

fucking hell mate that sucks!

If you do ride it until the end, break it for parts matey- i'll more then likely take a few parts of your hands- money towards getting that 2 smoker a bit sooner ehh

hearts going out to you man :(

The 2T is on hold for now, I think the next bike I get will be a WR 125, just seen an XT engine for £300, but I think thats it now for the XT. I will buy myself a nice WR only a few year old then I can think about a 2T. Then I will do my test.

Just can't believe work has cut my hours, otherwise I would've been tempted to buy a new bike on finance. I know your all thinking do my test but I want to stick to 125's for another year because the running costs are a lot cheaper. And I love them.

You need to find out how much the bike is worth as it is next to it working with the £300 engine....

Might be worth investing the £300 and sell it as soon as you get it fixed!

Don't use it just sell it then drop the cash on your next bike

Ken

If I bought the engine I know me and my friend could fit it, even if it did take 3 days haha. It can't be that complicated on a 4T 125.

I'm sure the guys here would be more than willing to help if you run into obstacles.

I feel for you! Hope you can get it sorted and at least sell her on. Hell... She'll be close to fully rebuilt after this ya?

in your position i would probably be looking to split that bike for parts and get some money back from it, or as mentioned above buy a working lump and sell it as a runner.

if you were any closer to birmingham i'd have been happy to fit the new engine for you in exchange for a mars bar, but you're in the wrong part of the country lol

got a very nice SR125 just sat here doing nothing... ;):1poke:

Bloody hell Grouch WTF? I do not believe your luck mate, Talk to Foamy about his little bike it looked great in the photos and then you can fix your old bike while still being able to ride, makes sense when you think about it £300 for an engine and you can buy another bike for that! (sorry foamy don't know what your asking for your latest rattler) if I can help just call. We all feel for you mate. :jossun:

Man you got the luck,to bad it's all bad.

So to reflect on what others have said,buy the 300 eng put it in yourself now your hours have been cut you have time, a used head has got to be worth 75.00 and a good barrel and piston should fech you some cash as well and you could recoupe a 100 of the 300 so this could turn into a 200 dollar fix and that is not bad considering how much you dumped on it in the last year.

Or use this old eng to learn on take it appart and fix it and have a back up motor and learn everything you need to know to fix any other bike you own.

Foamy's SR is probably a damned sight better built and more reliable than your current nail.

My preference would be to trouser the SR and part out the XT. That way you still have transport, and the XT will cover the cost of the SR.

And I doubt you will have any trouble with the SR....

CT

Grouch, I feel so sorry for you that I cant really take the piss no more. Personaly I wouldnt ride it any more just incase it gets you hurt or you brake down some where n your fucked.

Sell it as spares n repairs n start saving.

Bloody hell Grouch WTF? I do not believe your luck mate, Talk to Foamy about his little bike it looked great in the photos and then you can fix your old bike while still being able to ride, makes sense when you think about it £300 for an engine and you can buy another bike for that! (sorry foamy don't know what your asking for your latest rattler) if I can help just call. We all feel for you mate. :jossun:

Its in the for sale thread lol, £450 with an MOT or £400 without, only problem is it would cost me about £70 in juice and 4 1/2 hours on the road to get it up to yorkshire.

Its strange that your XT has had so many problems... i thought most Yams are pretty much bulletproof :o, if you broke your bike for major parts (forks, tank, exhaust system, swingarm, wheels, carb and those new clocks you put on) you could probably scrape back a monkey, but not having much experiance with those bikes i couldnt honestly tell you what its worth as it is, changing the engine would probably reduce the value slightly as it would no longer be matching frame/eng numbers and unless you really know what engine your putting in you may end up with the same problems all over again.

is the gearbox fault a common problem?, you may be able to screw some repairs out of Yamaha if its a known fault/recall

I will give you £150 for your bike.

And at the same time I will give you my credit cards and pin numbers.

woe grouch I feel for you, we all do! this site won't be the same without the XT exploits can you not get a second opinion

is there no member's near you who can help, even if its just the number of another garage ?

get it back on its feet and flog it man..... if its got mot and tax a fully running bike would sell quicker than parts and less hassle than parting it out!

i fitted a engine to my xlr 125 its easy man - but you can sell the parts off your broke engine like someone already mentioned to claw back some cash.

G you have not actually said what the problem was. The garage said it would cost a mint to split the cases which is true.

If it is just time making it expensive brake out the spanners. Cos i have had a gearbox sieze years ago on a 50 thank god. Fancy locking the rear wheel at 40mph. Not fun. Pulling the clutch does nothing as the gearbox is after the clutch.

Anyho whining will get you nowhere. You can step up and fix it or bail. If you were closer i would happily tear it down with you. I bet its fixable fairly simply once your in there. Change from 100notes i bet doing it yourself.