Panniers the leek ??

Stevie Mann
This post is 3994 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just bought new 1300 Dragstar and had Yamaha panniers fitted. Told they were not water proof, then found out they LEEK big time. Slight down pour of rain as the bike was standing outside, went to cover her after the rain stopped and there was about 1/2" of water in the bottom of the panniers. What use are they? cost nearly £1,000 and they are useless. Seams they leek through the lock, which means it will rust eventually. Living in Devon (UK) it does rain a lot.

Anyone else had this problem?

Stevie

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So are you saying they told you they are not weatherproof.

Now your annoyed they leak...

Soft luggage leaks, there is no getting away from it. When i have used it, the contents have been put in bin-bags first. As they have told you they are not waterproof they have covered themselves. Small consolation, I know. Even a lot of hard luggage isn't totally water-ingress proofed. Personally hard-luggage is the only way forward. Once you've used it, you'd never have soft luggage again (maybe a small bag on the seat or rucksack for away-days).

I'd be gutted if i spent a grand on them though.

See if they'll refund you [credit note] and sell you some hard luggage?

take them back, consumer rights not fit for purpose it doesn't matter they said their not waterproof all that means is you can't submerge

them in water, they have to do what their designed for which is to carry belongings safely on a motorcycle, if they leak while your bike is standing still that's not right its either bad workmanship or poor design neither of those things are down to you demand a full refund including any fitting cost

The very expression 'Water Proof' appears bizarrely open to interpretation

I've just exchanged Frank Thomas leggings and a Furygan Dragon jacket for letting in water.

Gotta say Simon (manager) at J & S New Malden, could not have been more helpful with this.

Both garments were 100% waterproof. Not resistant. not a wee bit impervious to damp. 100% fekin waterproof!!

Apparently a product only has to survive 5psi ( I do not know for what period) to get a 100% water proof tag.

But with respect Stevie, you were told they where not water proof

Well, they didn't lie.

sorry about the punctuation on my last comment, but I was eating with my right hand & trying to type with my left.

But I think you get my point.

No case.

You were told they weren't waterproof... and they were not.

No false advertising, no unfit for purpose, no nothing. Trading Standards would likely just hang up on you (politely, of course).

something that is a cheap fix is buying dry bags?

poundland have them in at the moment with ther camping stuff!

or have a look here - http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=category&category_id=295

and here - http://www.sportsdirect.com/outdoor-equipment/rucksacks/dry-bags-and-rain-covers

I had the Yamaha hard panniers on my 1300 and never noticed they leaked big time. They let a very small amount of.water in when you opened them, ie pressed the lock in. The trick was to blow the water out of the well around the lock before opening. I also wrapped things in plastic bags if I needed them to stay extra dry.