yamaha dt 125 strip down and engine rebuild

ahaywood93
This post is 2529 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

John and i were gobsmacked the last thing we expected was a 125 alongside.

Proper fast that athens stuff. Kills the bottom end if you hammer it though. Breaks the gearbox i believe.

Ask cardboarddave its his...

Have a read of this Ahay, a lad supposedly in the know put this on the DTR forum, regarding the Athena 170 kit.

"You can use a WR200/DT200 base gasket, The head gasket has to be from Athena. You can use a DT200 head from Yamaha on the Athena cylinder kit then use the DT200 head gasket also.

There is one huge reason the Athena kit doesn't make good power. The port timing is completely wrong. The ports are 3mm lower than they should be and are partially blocked by the piston a BDC. The cylinder needs a 3mm spacer to get the port timing in line. Then 3mm+ needs to be machined off the top of the cylinder to get the squish correct."

hmmmm to tell you the truth I've also read something similar somewhere else nev but ive also read it still performs really good ill have to give her a test, ill let you know how it is through the wearing in process and after when i can actually open her up :)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online