Hi from Guildford, UK (and have fun if you're off to Hastings today)

This post is 3970 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys, just joined today.

Yesterday I traded in my trusty 03 Bandit for a new XJN6-N. The Bandit has been a great bike for the last 8 years for commuting and longer weekend rides, but had a good test ride on the XJ6 and really enjoyed it. Really showed what an ancient and out-of-date model the Bandit now is. Black, with Yamaha fly-screen (thought about some other extras but decided to take my time and consider).

Anyway, shame I dont have the new bike now for a first run down to Hastings for the May Day Bank Holiday events (grew up in Hastings). Fantastic weather forecast (though beware the sea mist!), I hope everyone has a great day out.

Cheers

Tezza

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Lets hope the summer has finally started and enjoy your ride.

Hey Tezza, welcome to the forum!

Welcome aboard mate and congratulations on the XJ6.

Thats I nice looking bike I think I've seen it up at Farnborough

I'm really loving mine, if I wanted to upgrade anything, I would say I wished it had more of rumble to it.

Hastings was cool.

Absolutely astonishing amount of bikes up there :-)

Will be doing Poole one of these Tuesday nights, so let me know if your up for it :-)

Welcome Tezza" your right " them old fashioned outa date bandits,,, Hell my 1972 H2 is quicker,, :hah: Airhead " get rid,,, :biglaugha:

Ha ha I meet with Cylindric (for 25 seconds) at the Ace, just as we headed off.

Getting out of Ldn with that many riders was fun but shambolic, so the ride was very fragmented but caught up with a few from the Ace in Hastings.

Hah, yeah me and Bacchus as old mates now. I think I joined the back of the queue as the front was leaving Ace :)

The little group of bikes I was in got split from the pack in London somewhere, and none of us knew where we were going! Ended up going down the M20 to Ashford and entered Hastings via Rye. The route we took is in my sig.

Hastings was bonkers. Never seen anything like it. Something like 30,000 bikes in one day, according to the police estimates.

CbUCXsC.jpg

• Like 1

Nice panoramic. Did you run into (poor choice of words lol) anyone else from the ACE?

I saw one or two here and there. Rode most of the way with two wheelie pop-in youngsters and a cool dude on a retro Ducati but lost touch on one of the last roads in.

Some cager had broken down on a very narrow road with a couple of caravans waiting to get round him, nightmare!! So bikes were filtering over hill and dale to get passed.

Poor fekker :(

I grew up in Hastings and the father-in-law was a copper and told great stories of trying to police The Carlisle pub with Mods on the ouside throwing stones in and the rockers barricaded inside throwing them back out again. Guess its a little more civilised these days, but what a great atmosphere. Must admit never actually gone by bike, every year we normally go down as a family, stay with relatives and walk down the seafront doing a pub crawl around old haunts for old times sake.

Cheers

Tezza

Hello Tezza. I lived in Woking for about 12 years before moving to Bracknell (for work, not out of choice!), so not all that far from you really. Glad you found yourself a decent ride after the Bandit :D

Well, picked up the new XJ6 this morning from Farnborough. Rode just under 100miles around Guildford, Newlands Corner as well to/from work. Pleased with the added Yamaha flyscreen (expensive though), dont notice too much wind difference from the half-faired Bandit - though obviously keeping speed down at the moment. The bike does feel much more nimble and agile - great fun to ride. Any downside? Well the seat isn't as comfortable (slight numb bum). Otherwise pretty happy. Have to get up early tomorrow and take a long detour to work.

8742644812_0135ddd711.jpg
xj6-4 by tps58, on Flickr

@Cupcake

What exhaust have you nailed on your JX6?

Ooh and would you recommend the screen?

Exhaust is a Scorpion Carbon Oval - not the loudest, but gives little deep resonance at low revs and screams a bit when you give it a fist full of revs. Does the job for me :thumb:

The first screen I put on was a Givi Flyscreen - but the smoked one that you can see through, not matt black as in that picture on the link. It definitely helped reduce the wind buffeting, but I'm only small so I really needed a bigger touring screen for when I'm on the motorway, as past 75 I was struggling to hang on. So I changed it for an MRA Highwayshield which is much taller and much better for me. Thought it would look properly pants on the naked bike, but I was pleasantly surprised that it actually looks alright. Plus it fits really well and is nice and sturdy - no wobbling or vibrating. Very pleased with it really :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online