Xvs 125 Frustation

Thornhorn
This post is 3936 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Right I got my adapter this evening.

I haven't been able to do a proper compression test yet as I didn't have time to warm the engine. On a cold engine I was getting 7bar from both cylinders. I'll do a proper test tomorrow on a hot engine. I'll also attempt to start the engine on 1 cylinder and get a running pressure.

Stock mixture screw settings on mine are 2 3/4 out.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I should have done it already, The weather has been naff, and I've spent 3 days brush cutting scrub off allotments.... I'll try catch a window of oppertinity to get the test done in the next few days. It's typical that you say your going to do something then spend 3 days waiting for the rain and wind to clear :D I have no garage, so anything on the bike involves pulling off the covers and working in the back garden, That and the fact I don't actually ride it yet mean it's not always at the front of my mind.

I ride an XVS as well and at the top end it does scream like an angry wasp but for me the Dragstar is not about speed its about style, comfort and fuel economy. If you want more speed I think you should get a bigger bike. Also to make your bike sound bigger at lower speeds you could drill afew holes under the pipes.

Hi Ironlung, I completely agree with you. The problem is that she screams at 60 because she's far from the original settings. With original settings she can barely hold 5th and against the wind is 4th all the way. What's ur top speed?

I've had her up to 65 and that's with really bad cross winds and she wasn't even at full throttle but like yours she won't go over 60 with head winds. Plus I'm not the tallest and.only weigh 10 stone so that might be a factor. I'm not sure what the problem is with yours. Hope you get it sorted soon.

When i had my XVS 125 i only got 65mph average, and down hill i did get 75 but that was its max. so 65-70 is just fine, you aint going to get anything above 75mph out of one of these bikes due to thus reasons:

Yes she is a V twin but the pistons are as big as a whiskey tumbler (if not smaller)

She is a Cruiser thus big and lumpy and the 125 motor is doing its best to drag the bike and the rider.

If you want to go faster then do your test.

If you can't afford to do your test then the best way to help a bike go a bit better is to go down the Bobber route. Strip off as much shit as you can get away with thus making the bike lighter. Chopping the fenders, loosing all useless metal work. (sissy bars, racks, panniers etc etc)

fitting drag bars will shift your weight forward thus making it more throw able around corners. Remember coming back from Southampton and over taking a GS 500 on the out side and he was quite shocked to have been over taken by a cruiser :)

Every bike has its limitations for example the XVS 650 will struggle to get to a ton, its do able but fook me does it hurt you thighs, i easily get 95mph out of my 650 but after 2-3miles it starts to hurt.

So..........................be happy with 60-70mph out of your XVS 125 Cause that all your gunna get.

• Like 1

Test done, getting over 100 in each cylinder so the problem is elsewhere.... any ideas? Also I've noticed that she seems to work better when cold an that I no longer need to choke her when starting which makes me believe that she would be running rich but the sparks have an healthy color....

Took the filter out and got worse. Everything is. Standard but the sprocket set. Which is lower than it should be but at this point I wouldn't even consider in increasing the teeth as she can't manage with what she has (14 front 74 back). Could it be electrics?

u dont need a special tool to check the timing.

u said it was running rich? have you adjusted the carb properly? and reset the pilot screw? it runs richer on the rear cylinder than the front so how do they compare? also has any dirt / water got into the carb?

how dose the engine sound? is it lumpy ? any knocking?

with a standard sprocket setup ur max (ish) speed will be 60mph in 5th on a flat but u do need to rev it hard to get there.

if memory serves me right 4th gear maxes out at about 50-55 mph (pings off the limiter)

id check what iv put above then put half a teaspoon of engine oil into the spark plug hole of each cylender and see how it runs.

Hi Paul, it seems that I completely failed on the basics. The mix screw was completely off what it should had been (2 turns). It seems to be running better now but still not 100% the 4th reaches 50 and the 5th 60 flat 55 with small inclination. Im waiting for the standard sprocket set to arrive and will let you know the result. Funny that you mention noise from the engine the engine sounds like marbles have been feed into it (mainly in the crackshaft area) maybe this is normal on a small 4 stroke engine but unfortunately I don't have another one to compare.

Nope, shouldnt sound like that, at tickover with standard pipes on it should be doof doof doof doof

You need to be sure that the mechanical settings are correct ie valve clearances/timing chain tension etc as they can be noisy if not right

Standard sprockets should get you to 65 to 70

Yeiiiii, standard sprockets arrived yesterday. Took me from 11:30pm till 1:30am in my small half iluminated garage but its on. Will be trying it today and will let u know. Might pop into a garage to check the noises.