DT in distress part 3!

wild foamy
This post is 3295 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Did you stick that mayo on your bacon sarnie? bout time we seen some progress from you man!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Now its just a case of waiting for the postie to deliver my plastic paints, indicator relay, fork oil and seals, engine oil, case bolts, chain and sprocket set, fork gators, grips, switchgear, ignition barrel, headlight, and inner tubes. gonna be another busy weekend :)also started making a fibreglass topbox for the trip to squires, dont want another repeat of last year having to bodge a 12v socket to the fireblade and then having it catch fire :(.

you could use the tail piece from your project fuck

• Like 1

you could use the tail piece from your project fuck

Ahem... project F.U.C.R ... :eusa_snooty:

Had a quick go at starting it today and it wasnt having any of it, further investigation required :shakeno: compression is shit so may put some new rings in whilst im at it.

Been painting my plastics today, opted for some Canbrush C17 'Light Blue', looks as good as new :).

IMG_2583_zps97f13285.jpg

IMG_2584_zpsa4515281.jpg

will probably end up fitting the 60cc kit i have stashed away, only with the stock carb and exhaust system im not going to be gaining f*ck all.

My seat cover has arrived from portugal, seat foam has been washed and repaired but i left my staple gun at home so wont be able to get the seat cover permanently fitted until the 15th :(, next on the list is repairing the brittle/broken plugs on the wiring loom

IMG_2585_zps375fc5d4.jpg

Sounds and looks really good man, is this the one thats going to squires?

will do, theres +0.25mm piston kits available so that should work.

The workshop is currently a toasty 3'c, so there no way my paint is going to dry there, ive had to improvise...

IMG_2597_zpsf956519a.jpg

• Like 1

Nearly there, forks left to refurb and front brake plate :), going to repaint them sidepanels aswell. hoping to take it back down sa'af next month and get it MOT'd :)

IMG_2600_zpsba1086c5.jpg

IMG_2599_zps6e2af171.jpg

• Like 1

getting there, I have a Pollini catalogue if you want me to see if there's anything for the DT?

Yes indeedy it is, most of the other DTs ive seen just have the universal tail light that you can get on eBay for a tenner, but its nice to have the original :)

More progress tonight:

After 30 years and what appears to be not a single rebuild, the stanchion bushes were stuck solid, not even mounting them in a vice and using the leg as a slide hammer would budge them... drastic times call for drastic measures (dont try this at home...)

1010797_10152100614838961_669075362_n_zp

Every problem can be solved with brute force and ignorance, luckily it worked!. shotblasted the fork legs and sprayed them in zinc primer, then some gloss black and lacquer (no pics tho :( )

1743720_10152100613503961_1283939496_n_z

Also stripped down my old front wheel, it was in a right state, the bearings were stuck solid and wouldnt even spin, no massive worry as they are going in the bin anyway, am planning to get the rims rechromed and use this wheel as a bit of a practice to learn how to build up spoked wheels

IMG_2605_zpse622bd26.jpg

IMG_2606_zps66d29e2a.jpg

IMG_2602_zps269018af.jpg

IMG_2604_zps99d89f92.jpg

IMG_2601_zps55da14d5.jpg

IMG_2607_zpse4ddcf8c.jpg

Shotblasted!

1512412_10152100613233961_1646691038_n_z

Zinc primed!

1654122_10152100613098961_1253944144_n_z

gonna rebuild the forks tomorrow, but on stripping down the front brake plate ive found the speedo drive assembly is completely fucked, the planetary gear which is driven by the wheel wont budge and with no access behind it im not sure how to free it up, but anyway its nearly midnight so f*ck this im going to bed.

Its nice until the summer comes and then it gets filled with every poser on base coming to clean and polish their cars, weekends are usually good as its usually only me in there, i dont bother going down unless i can get a good 8 hours or more down there.

Todays progress, forks rebuild and back together, the gators i bought are HUUUUGE and look f*cking rediculous so trying to find some originals, also waiting on my dust seals

IMG_2614_zpsf5a36cae.jpg

Through thermal shocking the planet gear (heat it with a blowtorch and dunk it in a water bath over and over) i managed to get it out, there was a slight issue with the little splined ring that transfers movement from the hub to the planetary gear but a little artistic licence got that sorted, but nevertheless its now been shotblasted, painted and reassembled :)

Bash plate i robbed off one of the bikes i broke long ago, had to straighten it out as it was in pretty rough shape.

IMG_2616_zps1d415f12.jpg

And its more or less together, my new back wheel is waiting for me at home so by this time next week it should be rolling and i can get the seat cover stapled on :)

IMG_2624_zps138656c9.jpg

IMG_2623_zps0964a575.jpg

IMG_2620_zpsf6c4fb3b.jpg

IMG_2619_zpscc42ead4.jpg

Tank decals are on their way :hyper:, gonna move it back home on friday as it would be criminal to leave it in the car park after all this hard work.

it seems that NOBODY has a right-hand side panel :( plenty of left ones but no right ones.