Assistance Needed! - Yamaha DT100 Restoration Project

Kevin93
This post is 4010 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there guys,

In late 2011 a friend of mine bought a Yamaha DT100 to do up with his wife, she wasn't interested and he didn't have the time to do it himself, so I managed to pick it up for a bargain £75!

After getting it home, I did the standard ''Use buckets of water and mum's sponges for the dishes to get all the mud and crud off it, but also messing up the patio'' technique.

After I got it clean (relatively) I decided to use the next ''take off everything you can and put it in a pile'' technique.

The next thing I did, was cover it in WD-40, put it under a tarp and forget about it.

It's now 2013, and after remembering I have a bike in the shed in pieces I've decided to actually restore it, which is what the plan was all those years ago.

I optimistically decided to do my CBT first (Passed first time)

Now I have a CBT, but no bike (that works and isn't in pieces, that's another story)

I haven't applied for the V5, mainly because I don't know what the reg number is. There was a tax disk on the bike from 2001, but water had got inside the holder and made the reg. number illegible. :(

I do however, have the frame and engine number, '*13A000002'

If anyone wants to lend some advice and abuse at me, it would be welcome. I stored the engine inside (after taking bits off that too) so I don't think there'll be too much of a problem there. It wasn't seized, and did turn over. (Until I took off the kick starter)

Apparently, all it needed was a fuel tank and a magneto until I got my hands on it.. There's almost no rust on the bike, and the chrome on the wheels isn't that bad actually.

So, what do I do now?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok we've all done it!

First get a workshop manual, not a haynes one, a Genuine Yamaha one

Then get a Parts list they are really handy, not only do they show exploded views of the assemblies, they make great colouring books for your kids if you leave it lying around :eusa_doh: and they give you the part numbers of all of the little fiddly bits

Join the DT Club forum http://yamahadtclub.proboards.com/

They will be able to help with your registration issue

Whilst trim parts may not be available (seats brightwork) from yamaha, mechanical parts often are, there are some good reproduction parts around (indicators etc)

Dont be tempted to do a concours job as you just wont get your investment back

Join the DT Club forum http://yamahadtclub.proboards.com/

So do we not have enough DT owners on here that could help then? :eusa_think:

Hmmm.

Not keen on their privacy policy myself. Lots of third party data collection references.

May be paranoid or cynical...

It's a good site if you're a member of the Flat Earth Society, and believe that they stopped making DT's after 1988.

• Like 1

Ha ha ha

Pmsl...........

Thanks for the replies guys!

I did pick up a Haynes manual from eBay quite a while back, but never got around to actually opening it :eusa_clap: Trying to find a Yamaha workshop manual for it but no luck so far on eBay. I'll keep trying.

Is it possible to send off for the V5 with just the frame number? Or do I need to be a Sherlock and find it out?

Also, I've been trying to figure out how to upload pictures to the forum, but I just go around in circles, so I uploaded some to Facebook, here are the raw image URL's;

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/484473_640122459335067_52922290_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/395710_640122599335053_755226160_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/923196_640122679335045_19779709_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/390985_640122759335037_1241184866_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/385800_640122832668363_1425732130_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/3649_640122876001692_122315162_n.jpg

These are pictures from the initial weekend, so not the most recent. Took pics as I was taking bits off so I could have some idea of where they went back on again! When it gets a bit lighter outside I'll take some more pictures of how the bike looks now.

Parts I know I'll need are a seat (Didn't come with one) A fuel tank (The one it came with was from a Honda MX) A Magneto (That was missing too)

I'm not going to go for concourse here, this is my first rebuild (first of many, I keep finding tempting things on eBay) I'm planning to;

1: Get it down to frame, have that blasted+powder-coated.
2: The chrome bits re-chromed and the black bits powder-coated
3: Engine and Carb to be stripped down, cleaned and any parts needing to be replaced to have that done.
4: Build a New wiring loom, the old wires looked tatty as hell, and I figure I'll probably save money and time by fixing it all at once, opposed to every two weeks.
5: Replacing the Chain, brake pads, rear springs+shocks and battery. Also new indicators and new bulb for headlight.
6: Cleaning up the plastics so they look nice again (tatty) and refinishing the seat cover with some vinyl or leather if budget allows.

I'm going to keep costs down by doing everything I can do myself, by myself. I have electrician friends who've agreed to spend an afternoon putting the wiring back together in exchange for some beer, and a friend who works in fabric has agreed to do the seat for free. Friends do come in handy!

I'd LIKE to get it done for £500 or less, I'm a student and this isn't the only bike I have in bits in the garden. Is this realistic or way off? That way I can put £160 or so a month into it and have it done around August. I don't fancy working on the bike on my patio when it gets cold!

Again, thanks for the replies!

Well the engine should be 150 tops baring disasterous discoveries. That is providing your crank is good with all gaskets and bearings replaced. With genuine yam parts too. Thats including a piston and rebore too.

Frame prep....... Wire brush and a powerdrill. Tin of hammerite bare metal primer then 2 cans of smooth black on a nice dry day. Job done for 20 quid.

Then you have money for the parts your missing and the paint job.

Consumables are as needed but yambits and wemoto are good as well as T Y Trials for engine spares.

DONT hack off the wiring loom. Or any more than it is. There are wires in it that are not shown on the diagrams. Keep as complete as you can. Lay it out on a pin board for your sparky mate to copy.

Keep us posted.....

It's a good site if you're a member of the Flat Earth Society, and believe that they stopped making DT's after 1988.

I think the later ones are awesome NEV honest...I miss mine dude...

..........Also, I've been trying to figure out how to upload pictures to the forum, but I just go around in circles, so I uploaded some to Facebook, here are the raw image URL's;

...............Parts I know I'll need are a seat (Didn't come with one) A fuel tank (The one it came with was from a Honda MX) A Magneto (That was missing too)

I'm not going to go for concourse here, this is my first rebuild (first of many, I keep finding tempting things on eBay) I'm planning to;

1: Get it down to frame, have that blasted+powder-coated.

2: The chrome bits re-chromed and the black bits powder-coated

3: Engine and Carb to be stripped down, cleaned and any parts needing to be replaced to have that done.

4: Build a New wiring loom, the old wires looked tatty as hell, and I figure I'll probably save money and time by fixing it all at once, opposed to every two weeks.

5: Replacing the Chain, brake pads, rear springs+shocks and battery. Also new indicators and new bulb for headlight.

6: Cleaning up the plastics so they look nice again (tatty) and refinishing the seat cover with some vinyl or leather if budget allows.

I'm going to keep costs down by doing everything I can do myself, by myself. I have electrician friends who've agreed to spend an afternoon putting the wiring back together in exchange for some beer, and a friend who works in fabric has agreed to do the seat for free. Friends do come in handy!

I'd LIKE to get it done for £500 or less, I'm a student and this isn't the only bike I have in bits in the garden. Is this realistic or way off? That way I can put £160 or so a month into it and have it done around August. I don't fancy working on the bike on my patio when it gets cold!

Again, thanks for the replies!

Youve got a heck of a lot of work to do and possibly expense too!...need to keep it cheap perhaps a trip to the stafford shows would be a good idea...theres two and the first is this weekend

I'm with Cynic on the powdercoat...save the money and paint it, personally I'd spray with zinc primer and than gloss black myself...after a good de-greasing and sanding / brushing

For photos I use photobucket, upload your pictures there and post the IMG links into the forum

I think the later ones are awesome NEV honest...I miss mine dude...

No I know that mate, I was totally in exclusion of yourself in that comment, I know you've a penchant for the later bikes, and your knowledge of them has been really helpful to me , especially on the last project.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online