TZR 125 Spluttering Problem

Firthy
This post is 3998 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi my first time on here and was wondering if anybody could help me ive just finished a restoration project my 2rk tzr and its been running and riding like a dream when yesterday it was riding fine all through the rev range and when I went to give it some when it reached the powerband @7000rpm it started spluttering and the revs wouldn't clime its completely fine when in neutral just reving engine but as soon as you go round block on it its spluttering in every gear. The power valve is pinned fully open and I have noticed it is leaking round the pv caps on each side of the barrel. Please help

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds like rev limiter to me.

Same engines as DT, they all stop at 7k rpm

First stop the pv leak as that will make the bike lean secondly what main jet do you have it should be around 250 with the valve pinned.

ive fixed the pv leak and it has a standard 180 jet and if it was the jetting why has the problem only just come about while I was ridding it do you know?

The coil ht lead and cap are all only a few weeks old but will check theres something rattling around in the exhaust so could that cause any problems?

Has it ever been 7000rpm and over...

The symptoms you describe [ spluttering] sounds like you"ve too big a main jet in,, does it feel like the choke is on when it hits 7k, check plug colour, if too dark . go down 2 jet sizes, or drop the needle clip a notch,

Check air fitre too.

:eusa_think: maybe 180 written on the jet, but maybe some go faster johhny put a drill thru it. :eusa_doh:

1st rule of 2stroke.

Try another plug.

2nd rule of 2stroke..

Try another after that...

Its cured the problem for the moment it had fouled the spark before and i cant,figure out why,its fouling them when its the standard carb settings