Dremel or are other makes OK?

DirtyDT
This post is 4000 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

As per the question really. I would like opinions on whether it must be a Dremel or is there something as good (or better)?

While I am at it, do all of these things share the same shaft size?

I know I want a mains one, not a rechargeable.

Main uses, I think, will be:

Case polishing

Odd bolt cutting - both slot and head removal

Can't think of anything else at the mo.

Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Aldi have one in ATM.

they do two types, the highest wattage is the better one as they won't slow down when under pressure and they sell a bit kit too.

I trim welds down and port cyl heads with them

Cheers guys. Looks like Adi are winning. I hope these are in stock as I don't often go to Aldi's.

Are these mains ones?

Iv'e had an aldi one for a few years now, only use it for polishing bits but still works fine and as airhead said a fraction of the price of a dremel

Hi

I have an ALDI one also, I have as others said used the size adapters to make it work with other manufacturers drill/polishing/grind tools, the only faults I have found are that the hand unit chuck locking button slips when tightening up the bit in the chuck, the speed control is sensitive, and the original tool bits are fragile compared to the Dremel items, However it has been a useful tool and has so far earned its keep,

I recall its goes by the brand name of 'Power Craft'

I got a Halfrauds one as Aldi had sold out when i went to get one. Great bit of kit but i found that its best to spend a bit of money on the bit kits as the cutting discs on the cheaper ones shatter or ware out very quick.

Cheers guys. I will swing past aldi on the way home. Lets home they have some in.

I popped in there a few weeks ago after getting the heads up that they had some biking gear. Brought a cheap bike lock and a set of taps & dies. Should have looked closer at the t&d's as some are imperial sizes, live and learn. Used one of the metric ones the other day and it was very good.

Cheers guys. I will swing past aldi on the way home. Lets home they have some in.

I popped in there a few weeks ago after getting the heads up that they had some biking gear. Brought a cheap bike lock and a set of taps & dies. Should have looked closer at the t&d's as some are imperial sizes, live and learn. Used one of the metric ones the other day and it was very good.

You need to pick up an auld Brit bike to get best use of your t&d set

You need to pick up an auld Brit bike to get best use of your t&d set

I looked a while ago at some BSA'a B40/B50's I think. I would have to invest in some A/F/Whitworth/Imperial spanners and sockets as well. Maybe a couple of imperial screwdrivers :icon_wink:.

Haven't had a chance to go to Aldi today so it will be later in the week I think.

Thanks Dirty, you reminded me I needed one myself, so good old EBAY and I got a FERM multi tool for £20 today, can finally polish the new carb tops I got LAST YEAR!! :jossun::eusa_doh:

P.S if you want some BS/Whitwoth spanners you can have mine, been sat in my garage for 20 odd years and don't use them anymore. BRITOOL I think, bought them when I started work in the 60s, "OH GOD" now I feel really old!!

I use a dremel in work.. it gets some amount of use and hasn't failed me yet..

But hey,, im biased. .

You made me shoot off to fleabay to have a look at those. Halfrauds ones are £25.

You made me loose my fleabay place now :eusa_doh:. I was looking at Frogeye Sprints.

Thanks Dirty, you reminded me I needed one myself, so good old EBAY and I got a FERM multi tool for £20 today, can finally polish the new carb tops I got LAST YEAR!! :jossun::eusa_doh:

P.S if you want some BS/Whitwoth spanners you can have mine, been sat in my garage for 20 odd years and don't use them anymore. BRITOOL I think, bought them when I started work in the 60s, "OH GOD" now I feel really old!!

Hey Slice

If you lived closer I would take you up on that offer. My speedtwin uses whitworth, and my bombardier uses AF

Christ Jimmy your a long way off, if your ever passing pop in and they are yours. :jossun: