Fake Iridium Spark Plugs

Grouch
This post is 3976 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My bike has had the same spark plug in for over a year. I have decided to buy an iridium one. The prices vary from £6-£13. I have read that they're are a lot of fakes going about, how do you tell?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The tip (centre electrode) at the gap end is a lot smaller compared to a standard plug, in the case that they are trying to knock off a standard plug as Iridium. Apart from that, not sure how you can tell just buy looking unless it's something obvious like missing branding or placement of branding. I got mine from Halfords for £9.99, seems legit.

Grouch, Does this count towards your "what will break next" thread? Cos if so you need to award the PRIZE!!! :biglaugha::biglaugha::biglaugha:

I was getting from someone in the channel islands via ebay , but not sure if that is as good now the tax relief has stopped, i know i ordered 4 for the Z 650 and they came in 2 lots to avoid VAT at the time

Grouch, Does this count towards your "what will break next" thread? Cos if so you need to award the PRIZE!!! :biglaugha::biglaugha::biglaugha:

No mate, my bike is fine and running sweet, I have just decided to upgrade to an iridium for the hell of it. The spark plug is fine what's in now and has been in the bike since I bought it.

Iridium plugs is all I buy there good quality and the central electrode is thinner and kinda goes to a point I paid just under £20 for 2

Just don't buy from china/hong kong as there is a greater chance to be shite!

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

Its the same old advice: If its cheap its cheap for a reason. Secondly, buy from a reputable supplier and not from someone you've never heard of on eBay.

Well my last 2 purchases of iridium plugs lasted less than 10mims each both from same eBay seller!!!!!!

I couldn't believe it-miss firing popping and banging I thought my bike had died especially when the flames come out the exhaust.

Put back in the normal ngk plug hey presto???

Now my little dtr is rattling its tits off, doesn't sound good what so ever!

Both iridium plugs where dripping wet and black as hell.

I can't believe I commented on this thread, I forgot and searched for fake iridium plugs I've always used them but I replace my plug every other month

How can I tell if they are original??? Just out of curiosity!

Cheers

Ken

Buy ngk leave the tat on the shelf. If it made any worthwhile difference they would be std equipment

Yeh but they where ngk iridium plugs I've used them in 4 different bikes with no problems until now!!!

I have a local small bike shop that sells normal ngk number 6 plugs so think ill just buy off them at least they can be trusted.

Ken

Iridium spark plugs have a better insulator which keeps them hotter basically. Standard plugs dissipate the heat a lot quicker. Personally I wouldn't touch Iridium plugs because I've seen the damage they can cause (Not saying they all do it, but a few engines ruined just by them is enough to turn you away from them).

The best place to get the plugs from would definatly be your local independant dealer, main dealer or Halfords. You'll pay more at the dealers though.

Honestly have no idea what them plugs have done to my little dt I can only get 35-40mph out of it and its rattling its tits off jerking and popping.

Going to have to perform surgery on it in Sunday

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online