Regular vs Premium fuel?

wild foamy
This post is 4022 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

quite frankly with the prices of 'petrol' it's fucking disgusting that they get away with this! I'm sure if it was more known about it there would be alot of people just as pissed off about this as me. :eusa_shifty:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I thought they did a test a few years back comparing regular and premium petrol. It was all about power output and with lower powered engines it made no difference but when you use it with high power engines it made a difference - but only 10% maximum.

Its all about the octane rating but I have always just used regular fuel.

I thought they did a test a few years back comparing regular and premium petrol. It was all about power output and with lower powered engines it made no difference but when you use it with high power engines it made a difference - but only 10% maximum.

Its all about the octane rating but I have always just used regular fuel.

Indeed, there may have been little noticeable performance difference between regular unleaded and super unleaded in the past, but the introduction of ethanol into regular unleaded at 5% (to be increased to 10% later this year) is causing corrosion problems for bikes/cars typically more than 10 years old, that were never designed to run with ethanol additives.

As an owner with 2 bikes, 16 and 27 years old, having read up as much as I can on the subject, I've decided to use un-ethanoled super unleaded rather than risk having to replace the guts of my machines, and am prepared to pay a few extra pence to reduce that risk.

You pays your money, you takes your choice

Indeed, there may have been little noticeable performance difference between regular unleaded and super unleaded in the past, but the introduction of ethanol into regular unleaded at 5% (to be increased to 10% later this year) is causing corrosion problems for bikes/cars typically more than 10 years old, that were never designed to run with ethanol additives.

As an owner with 2 bikes, 16 and 27 years old, having read up as much as I can on the subject, I've decided to use un-ethanoled super unleaded rather than risk having to replace the guts of my machines, and am prepared to pay a few extra pence to reduce that risk.

You pays your money, you takes your choice

yes i agree, just hope it stays ethanol free or at leased let people know if they change it

I run the premium in mine, its about 3-5 p. a liter more. First started using it in the monkey bike because if i used the cheep stuff i was under the minimum £5 spend, did notice it less ropey when cold and would start easier.

The ybr is the same. Seems to start better and needa less choke with the premium.

The only motors that can use Super and make more power are one's designed for it or a motor that has a knock sensor with alters the ignition to suit like BMW bikes. Normal/standard motors can use Super but shouldn't make much difference but could run smoother.

Saying that I use Super in the RD due to ethanol also I have tried it in my Fjr which is a lean burn motor and it didn't make any difference to the power or economy.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online