1979 Yamaha DT100 Restoration Project?!

This post is 4004 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there guys,

In late 2011 a friend of mine bought a Yamaha DT100 to do up with his wife, she wasn't interested and he didn't have the time to do it himself, so I managed to pick it up for a bargain £75!

After getting it home, I did the standard ''Use buckets of water and mum's sponges for the dishes to get all the mud and crud off it, but also messing up the patio'' technique.

After I got it clean (relatively) I decided to use the next ''take off everything you can and put it in a pile'' technique.

The next thing I did, was cover it in WD-40, put it under a tarp and forget about it.

It's now 2013, and after remembering I have a bike in the shed in pieces I've decided to actually restore it, which is what the plan was all those years ago.

I optimistically decided to do my CBT first (Passed first time)

Now I have a CBT, but no bike (that works and isn't in pieces, that's another story)

I haven't applied for the V5, mainly because I don't know what the reg number is. There was a tax disk on the bike from 2001, but water had got inside the holder and made the reg. number illegible. :(

I do however, have the frame and engine number, '*13A000002'

If anyone wants to lend some advice and abuse at me, it would be welcome. I stored the engine inside (after taking bits off that too) so I don't think there'll be too much of a problem there. It wasn't seized, and did turn over. (Until I took off the kick starter)

Apparently, all it needed was a fuel tank and a magneto until I got my hands on it.. There's almost no rust on the bike, and the chrome on the wheels isn't that bad actually.

So, what do I do now?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online