Brand New member, brand new bike rider.

This post is 4024 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello brand new member here. I have a total of 8 hours on a bike in a parking lot and just bought my first bike, 1979 Yamaha DT175, No idea about the Mx or not. It's looks good to my eye but right now it's the prettiest thing so I'm biased. I'll be scanning the forums for knowledge and hope to pick a brain or two. Never have worked on a bike but have on cars so all pretty new. Thanks for having this club I could join!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

Loads of DT owners on here, If you say your DT is 1979 vintage then it shpuld be a DT175 MX, (MX) Meaning MonoShock (single Shock) as to wether it is a DT 175 E or F I don't know but others will no doubt have the info for you, Mine is just a plain old DT 175 C (pre MonoShock)

From what I can find it's Dt175f. Now to track down a book for it and some parts. Road it a couple blocks so I know it runs but now I have it home it will not start. Battery is really corroded so gonna pull that, clean it up and see if it'll hold charge first off.

Welcome! Plenty of DT owners on here who can help - just pop your questions in the workshop area.

Welcome Bluesman, lots of guys on here who will help out, good luck with your new bike, ride safe. :jossun:

No problem.

Which part of the US are you in. There are a few septics on here.

Looking ok.

Might want to give that engine a good degrease. Looks like you might have a couple of leaky gaskets to tend to.

Cleaned up a bit. Rode it down the road abit. Couple things to work out. Seems like the big leak issue is, the petcock where it connects to the tank, seems to be a o-ring there by what I read in the manuals, but nothing on the parts catalogue. If I turn the petcock tightly it will stay, but...need to fix that so will be pulling tank.

Thing is if I'm doing that I might as well go all out.

Bikes 34 years old and I have no history on any maintenance on it. Should I go with the "if it isn't broke don't fix it".

I noticed today that when I clutch it revs really high into the red, not sure what that is about.